May 7, 2007
amaity (All reviews)
At first I was afraid this was going to be like Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within - a big let down, but I was pleasantly surprised by this high quality Korean animated feature.

Like both the Final Fantasy installments, which this is so reminiscent of, Wonderful Days takes place in a post-apocalyptic world where a group of humans are fighting for a better tomorrow - their wonderful days. One can tell that the plot is not a major aspect of the movie; there is very little background on the present events and little or no clarification of what is what. But that's not important.

The characters, too, are unexplored and their personalities have little significance. There is no motivation for their actions and random switches in beliefs. It's like a mega chameleon fest, where none of them know what their true colours are. Poor character development. But then again they're not important.

What drives this anime, and the reason why I give it an 8 after all it's shortcomings, is the absolutely brilliant animation and sound. To really enjoy this, you need to watch a good quality version of the movie. The cell-shading/CG artwork was fantastic and played its part perfectly in describing the darkness of post apocalyptic earth. I never thought cinematography was important for anime, but by god was it well done. Some of the "shots" coupled with some excellent music brought out the emotion which the 1-D characters could not provide. It is like watching Monet paint. Maybe that's a bit too much, but you get the idea.

If you're planning on watching this, don't go in expecting something extraordinary, it's nothing brilliant. But it was certainly enjoyable, if not interesting to see what the Korean animation industry is capable of. It's a very promising step...