Dec 17, 2018
Karhu (All reviews)
"I smell death in the air."
-Goku who has a scar in his face

"I smell obligatory money grab in the air."
-Me, and about half of the DB fandom

Let's face it, Dragon Ball Super is just fanfiction written by the original Dragon Ball creator. First the amazing Dragon Ball manga was ruined by the Z route with its fillers and godawful pacing, and then the franchise got extended with million different side/backstories/sequels over decades and they are shamelessly even called "canon" because that's the best insult anyone could ever come up with when trying to mock DB. I wish this would stop because nothing was needed after Kai. Nothing.

In this movie, Goku and Vegeta have an obligatory fist fight, Bulma tried to be sexy. Beerus and his buddy eat some cake and every main character acts like a clown to add some comedy. Rest of the story focuses around 2 things: recycling the same shit in the exact same manner as DB Super did, and adding new story elements and characters in the mix in purpose of rewriting the true canon story. It's truly amazing how mere 20 minutes of the movie's air time is put in something that quite literally just rapes the history of Saiyan race once again. "There was this guy and that guy and then this happened oh and that, and yes, it totally existed always now I am just confirming this shit, I swear." What a joke. At the very least, separate, 2-hour long movie about this subject would have been needed, but I guess that's fine, it's not like this franchise is supposed to be taken seriously anymore. I actually read that the original script was 3 hours long, but the storyboard was changed by the director and the outcome is now this 1 hour 35 minutes of messiness that doesn't give a shit about Dragon Ball. Quality level: shonen.

Character-wise, at least the main cast's personalities aren't as heavily altered as in the later DBS arcs, so I guess that's an achievement of some sort. Broly himself is basically acting like a mentally handicapped dog. I am sure he couldn't even fetch a stick, etc. ETC standing for Electrical Training Collar. Seriously, this version of his character is pretty much just a ripoff of Danny the Dog. Frezzamocca (Freeza) also talks about planet Vegeta's destruction for the 90.000th time here as well because no one has yet grown tired of hearing about that shit. Such a fresh experience this one. It's truly great to see the fans getting respected this way, love letter to the fandom, no less. //sarcasm. Art and sounds are pretty much the same as earlier, tho the last fight scenes are quite spectacular especially considering it's the work of 2018's Toei. If we talk about the event that lead to the fight, the pacing, the fusion training, the powerlevel asspullery... well, maybe they pass as a comedy. Lots of lung work is put in the yelling sequences and the hair designs are matching all colors of rainbow. The 3 seconds long OP doesn't really make any sense, but who cares really. Broly's own song is cringe as duck, tho. "Go Broly, go go" and I hate myself for letting it get stuck in my head.

Because I considered myself a fan of Dragon Ball, I can only call this movie trash. I give a 2 instead of a 1 because Piccolo.