Dec 6, 2018
Laciani (All reviews)
I state that I have not read the manga and the the review may contain some spoilers.

The first thing on which I started to reflect after seeing the anime was the reason why the author decided to attribute as title to his work "The shape of the voice". I find it excessively obvious and banal that it could in any way be related exclusively to Shouko's low hearing ability, and therefore it's profound significance was partly attributed to the main character of the story, Shouya; he finds himself in a short time to personify two diametrically opposed roles during adolescence: the bully and the pseudo-victim. The first occurs at the end of elementary school, when he begins to discriminate and mistreat Shouko, a deaf little girl just moved into his class, although he does not understand if we can actually speak of bullying in the literal sense of the word, being a child who attends the elementary and that above all still has to acquire a certain maturity, responsibility and respect towards people and things - just think that the protagonist, after having been recalled by both parents and teachers, realizes that he has assumed attitudes and behaviors completely wrong with his classmate.

However, this "gradual change" is not enough either to Shouya or his friends to redeem himself / herself from what he had previously committed, and it is precisely through this trick that comes into play another very important theme of the film: "prejudice" , which sanctions the definitive transition from the potential bully to the good guy (aka pseudo-victim). During the course of middle and high school, the protagonist manifests behavioral and psychological traits that have nothing to do with the carefree and self-confident boy of some time before: this factor should be associated not only with ill treatment against Shouko, but also at the consequent removal from his best friends, who begin to label him as a bully and a person with whom a true friendship can not be established. Shouya is no longer able to approach the others and begins to consider friendship as a mere utopia, a value that does not deserve to cultivate, experiment and try on their skin ... moreover also shows a clear closure in itself and the desire to wanting to do it over and over again. However the situation changes completely perspective, when in the third year of high school meets again Shouko! At the first impact, the girl still seems troubled by what happened previously between them, but immediately manages to see that something in the boy who mistreated her in elementary school had changed: she learned sign language and in every way she wants to establish a stable and sincere relationship of friendship with her. Many may think this is a mere and banal way to redeem himself from what he had done in the past, however I think this is not enough for a person to make a similar decision: Shouya wants to show his profound change matured during the course of years, in other words to deserve in all respects his apologise and his unconditional friendship.

The complex system built on the two protagonists was made possible thanks to the other characters, who with their character nuances defined the story in a more specific way. For example, the radical change of Shouya is largely due to the mother figure who helped her understand her mistakes and above all to take responsibility for her actions, going to work to repay all her sacrifices (her mother paid a large sum of money to Shouko's family for the breakage of various hearing aids), and the completion of the work is due to the new group of friends with whom Shouya begins to approach. Of course, things do not go right at the beginning but with the general maturity acquired by the whole group the situation takes a completely different turn.
The moving and deeply significant ending is nothing but a consequence of what was described above: Shouya manages to overcome all her worries and fears, but above all to look into people's eyes when there is a need to establish a relationship and face them.
I think you're still wondering what my assessment is on the title "The shape of the voice"; well, it concerns precisely the fact that Shouya could not look into people's eyes when he had to establish relationships, so he could not help but "create an image of them according to their voice".

The graphic sector is to be exalted in every sense: animations and drawings in my opinion are Fantastic. Sublime dubbing [ I mean the Japanese one] and the soundtracks immersed sharply in the climate surreal and complex of the anime.

Overall is a great anime. Totally recommended.