Oct 12, 2018
Krunchyman (All reviews)
“Wonderfully strange.” — Krunchyman

I can’t quite put my finger on it, but something about The Diary of Tortov Roddle feels quite exceptional. In the eye of an impartial observer, the six stories may seem a bit disjointed, with no obvious through line or extensive exploration into the character’s psyche. Be that as it may, it would seem that The Diary of Tortov Roddle was not meant to be understood through the narrow prism of human logic, but, more or less, experienced via innate emotions. A placid, visceral viewing experience if there ever was one.

The surrealistic approach, along with the imaginative artwork, gives the impression that the director breathed life into an oil painting. The aesthetic — unadorned, yet bizarre —compliments the critical events quite nicely, imparting a useful “essence” into each story. Furthermore, the use of natural sounds, like the wind blowing in The City of Light or the fire crackling in Moonlight Travelers, feel palpable, as if it were emanating through the screen itself. These noises serve a useful function to enable the viewer to “connect” with the anime on a personal level, allowing the events, like the community gathering or the reminiscing about a past love, feel more impactful.

Simply put: it’s a pleasant viewing experience.

It harkens to a transient, spontaneous existence, in which exhilarating moments happen fortuitously in a most unexpected manner. We observe, we react, and then we move on — similar to Tortov — to our subsequent eye-opening journey. It may be aimless, it may seem futile, and it may feel positively chaotic; nevertheless, if we maintain an open-mind, we may enjoy ourselves on this haphazard adventure called life, and possibly learn something new along the way.

8/10 — Enjoyment (the rating I used for this review)

6/10 — Overall (the rating I use for my own personal list)