Aug 25, 2018
Maffy (All reviews)
From the mangaka that brought us “Taiyou no Ie”, we are given a work smaller in size, but packed with well-deserved teenage angst that delivers quite fast, unfortunately. Albeit the tropes used are very common (sibling inferiority complex for example), the story manages to portray the slice of life element in an easy way that makes the reader get absorbed in it.

The plot itself is nothing original (although, one of my favorite tropes) with the main girl feeling inferior to her twin sister who seemingly has everything and so, she tries to stay as low key as possible to avoid any chance of her getting hurt in any way. This has been imprinted in her brain so much that she avoids any general happiness due to imminent disappointment and so, her journey through her issues begins. We can all imagine her efforts at trying to come to terms with her problems slowly once she makes friends and a boy asks her out and for the most part, it works great showing her again and again how her thoughts get in the way and she just does not randomly wake up one day and is over it. A big bonus is given for the fact that it shows the sister’s point of view about the relationship the 2 siblings have and she is not oblivious to what is happening (unlike their parents, probably).

However, where the work falls short is the character build-up it tried to present. As it comes to such stories, everyone has a share in it, but towards the final chapters, it seemed to create a lot of situations and try and tie up a lot of loose ends into some positive message. Thankfully, it did not aim for the stars and the plot still remains relatively simple with everyone gaining a bit more, but it can feel forced at times so specific characters will act in specific ways. Even the main boy who had a lot of screen time, it feels as though his part fell a bit flat towards the end.

I personally related to the main character a lot, simply because I also vehemently believe that good things bring bad things, though she certainly takes it to a whole new level since the manga tries to make that her main trait. The development of the characters is a steady process with the main character facing herself and her sister, her admirer facing his past and their friends trying to make more mature decisions along the way. They are simply students and for the most part, they are acting that way, give and take some drama or general exaggerated situations. Although in retrospect, the whole premise of each character is a bit too much, they always kept things light and fresh for the reader.

Art-wise, it is not that detailed, but it is very pleasing to the eyes with rounded lines and simple designs. Every character is distinct and even between the identical twin sisters we can see the true difference in their countenance. There is no heavy dialogue and you can read it pretty fast too.

I was mostly invested in this because of the similarity I have with the main character, although our approach to this is not the same, and as I am a sucker for such stories, I enjoyed it sufficiently. I would very much like if the main boy had more time to work on his own story and even more so the sister, but it seems this ended rather abruptly and there was not enough time to present everything naturally. Nonetheless, it is a fun read, but it does not bring anything new on the table.