Jun 21, 2018
AbnerA (All reviews)
Wotaku ni Koi wa Muzukashii (Wotakoi for short) is a romance comedy which characters are Otakus (Anime or Game Otakus). It is set in an office setting, featuring 4 main characters (2 couples) that are dating each other. Here in there, you would see direct references to manga, anime, games, and the likes. However, this anime fails to deliver well in both comedy and romance. I think it is important for you to treat this more as a slice of life show featuring otaku couples, as to not give any unmet expectations.

The romance in this anime is more of just a setting as it is hardly explored. It will only occasionally throw in some romantic moments. Meanwhile, the jokes in this anime are rarely funny. I feel like the biggest problem to the comedy is the awful timing. It is really slow at delivering punchlines, making it unfunny at most times. To make it worse, there are sometimes short explanations by the game-sounding-narrator, which further slows down the pace.

The characters here are not really outstanding. There's no traits or moments that I feel really stand out from them. Also, even though the couples' relationships might change a little, the characters themselves hardly changes.

The background music is one problem I have with this anime. Maybe it's just not my taste, but although there are some good tracks, there are a lot of weird tracks that are just slapped unto an unfitting scene (honestly, I don't think those tracks could fit anywhere).

Overall, I think this anime fails to deliver a good romcom. There is only a little romance development and jokes fall flat. This is an anime for watching the daily lives of otaku couples. And that's it, since the only thing this anime got going for it is its relatability for people familiar with the otaku culture.