Apr 9, 2018
Moomochi (All reviews)
Out of 100 Nobles watching...
98 were impressed!
2 Were a tad disoriented in the first 5 minutes.

Like many people who watched Mahoutsukai no Yome, the Hoshi Matsu Hito OVA episodes were the first taste of what this amazing piece of media had to offer. This 3 episode short is a must see and stands on it's own from its anime counterpart.

I've rated this trio of OVA episodes a bit higher than the actual Mahoutsukai no Yome anime itself for a very simple reason. Timing and Direction. This anime moves slowly, but at no point in time is it ever wasting a frame. The visuals are filled with environmental detail earning it well deserved comparison to Ghibli movies by many and the sound design couples well with this. At no point in time is a conversation meaningless or a characters visual portrayal acting as filler.

In regards to the shows story, I'll first address what every person I presented this work to said to me in the first 3 minutes of watching it. "Is this the first episode or did we skip something." The initial splash of being thrown into the deep end of this magical world is really the only thing I can knock this anime's presentation for. The viewer is presented a well established "norm" for how the protagonist Chise is living her life which takes place in the dead center of episode 12-13 of the anime before we go into a flashback to cover the actual prequel content this OVA advertised itself as. While disorienting at first this method of story telling takes it's time to show a new viewer all the information they need to get the best picture possible of the fantasy world they are in.

This anime's studio kicked the door in with a story to tell and a picture to paint and used it's allotted time to do so perfectly. The full anime provides even more of what this heartwarming and heartbreaking story has to offer albeit in a package that is slightly less tight.