Mar 25, 2018
DtDaniel (All reviews)
Dragon Ball Super, the sequel of the popular Dragon Ball Z, is a show with very polarising opinions. Some people love it and others hate it. I'm going to say it's pretty good and will give it a 7/10.

Story: 6/10
The story of Dragon Ball Super isn't very complicated. There is a villain who shows up and Goku and his friends need to defeat him or there is a tournament going on and Goku and his friends must find a way to win it. The first 2 arcs are the movies Battle of Gods and Resurrection 'F' retold, the 3rd arc is a universal tournament, the 4th arc is about a mysterious enemy in Future Trunks' timeline and the 5th arc is a battle royale with 8 universes. The stories are quite simple, but can offer a lot of enjoyment.

Art and animation: 6/10
The art and animation of the show in the first 2 arcs is very inconsistent. Some moments it's very bad and worth around a 3/10 and sometimes (more often in the later arcs) it's very good and worth a 9/10. I would recommend skipping the first 2 arcs and watching the movies Battle of Gods and Resurrection 'F' instead, if you can't stand bad animation (the first 2 arcs are episode 1-27). The major fights in the 3rd, 4th and 5th arc are often very well animated and deserve a 8/10 or higher. That's why the art and animation is overall worth a 6/10.

Sound: 8/10
The soundtrack of the show is overall pretty good and the show has some great music (often in the major battles). Overall the soundtrack deserves a 8/10.

Character: 6/10
The characters in Dragon Ball Super are pretty simple. There's Goku who likes to fight and wants to keep getting stronger, there's Vegeta who's fighting for his Saiyan pride and you've got some new characters like Whis and Beerus. The characters are overall pretty simple, but can still be very likeable. Overall they deserve a 6/10.

Enjoyment: 8/10
Overall the show was very enjoyable for me. The major fights were very fun or exciting to watch. Even some of the filler episodes in the series were very fun to watch, because of certain character interactions or a pretty good subplot. It was enjoyable enough for me to wait every week for a new episode to air. Overall this deserves a 8/10.

Overall: 7/10 (6,8/10)
Dragon Ball Super had its ups and downs, like problems with the animation at the start (which were luckily fixed later on), but was overall a very enjoyable show. If you've previously watched Dragon Ball Z, I would recommend to watch this series as well (although you could watch the movies and start at episode 28, if you can't stand bad animation). Overall I think the anime deserves a 7/10.