Mar 13, 2018
Tenderizer17 (All reviews)
In short: Do not pass on watching this season, and do not skip the endless eight.

To clarify, the endless eight is a series of 8 consecutive episodes, that are basically the same to a casual observer but subtly different. It's a bold idea that's angered a lot of the fan base for this show, but that anger is undeserved. The endless eight arc is the best part of the series, each episode has something to love about it and it all culminates into a grand and satisfying climax.

Before I continue, let me say. I'd like to make it clear that I'm not defending this season, I'm advocating for it. I love this season more than the first and skipping it is a grave misstep.

I noticed that this season, was less popular than The Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya. That, is unsettling. I'm not one to unconditionally advocate authorial intent. I recommend chronological order over broadcast order, but skipping over this season will severely hamper your enjoyment of the movie.

This season, while also having some great and well written conflict spread throughout, is mainly focused on developing Nagato's character. The endless eight is particularly important to that cause. If you don't watch all of the endless eight, you'll be far less likely to appreciate Nagato's character. If you can't appreciate Nagato's character, you can't wholly enjoy the film.

So if you take nothing else from my review. Watch The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya season 2, including the endless eight.