Jan 3, 2018
Illikas (All reviews)
Angel Beats. Not going to lie, the first time I had heard about it, I thought the name was implying it was an anime about high-schooler musicians. And after some years passed of hearing about it repeatedly, I began to get annoyed with an anime I'd never even seen. However, one day, I was talking with a good friend of mine about Gurren Lagann (Which I'll write a review for soon, I swear), and he suddenly switched the topic to Angel Beats. He told me it was amazing and many other things, and since he was a good friend, I trusted his judgement and finally decided to give it a go. And what I saw blew my expectations out of the water.
Angel Beats is, in a nutshell, a story about a bunch of high-schoolers who are dead, but cannot actually die. I think it was in the first or second episode that the main character, Otonashi, was actually chopped up by noda for refusing to help Yuri to defeat Tenshi/Angel initially, but then he just came right back to life. And even though it actually did have musicians in it, they were mostly side characters, so it didn't affect the plot too heavily like i had first imagined.
Out of all of the characters, I'd have to say my favorite is Naoi Ayato, mainly because of his character development. At first, he's really a guy you get to hate in his first two or so episodes, but after his talk with Otonashi, he actually makes an effort to change, and that's why I like him. And by the way, good luck preparing yourself for the ending. I knew what was going to happen cause of my friend, and I had braced myself throughout the whole of the show, but seeing it actually happen? Yeah, good luck being prepared indeed.
In summary, Angel Beats is a great anime with awesome character development, and is also, at least to me, a good example of not judging a book by it's cover.