Dec 6, 2017
velvetPhos (All reviews)
I assume you read synopsis of the show, so I’m not going to write about it in this review.

Story 2/10
This kind of comedy show doesn’t have “plot”, so only factor in story is the quality of gags. I think joke-telling can be stretched to storytelling.
The quality of comedy in this series is what make this show boring. Danshi Koukousei no Nichijou is kind of show that characters do stupid things without any reasons. I call those chaotic comedy (I made this term up to make writing easier). I’m not saying those kind of shows are bad. What I’m saying is that execution of characters doing stupid things without any reasons is poorly done in this show. Chaotic comedy is kind of genre that heavily relies on uncertainty. Viewers should feel “what just happened, that’s so messed up and funny”. (Example for good chaotic comedy would be Bobobo. Everything in Bobobo is unpredictable and hilarious.) I don’t get this feeling when I watch Danshi Koukousei no Nichijou. Almost every single jokes in the shows is predictable. It just defeats the purpose of the show.
Also, chaotic comedy is very widely used style of comedy, especially in Japanese comics for very young male kids, such as Koro Koro Comic. Japanese kids are exposed to chaotic comedy all the time even before they enter elementary school. The point I want to make here is that chaotic comedy is very competitive genre in Japan and mediocre chaotic comedy cannot make Japanese people laugh. No wonder, I’ve never seen any Japanese mentioning about this show. (Oh, I forgot to mention that I’m Japanese. I’m pretty sure kids outside of Japan have decent amount of exposure of chaotic comedy, too, but I can’t talk about it because I grew up in Japan. I don’t have experience as non-Japanese kid.) Danshi Koukousei no Nichijou is not even close to mediocre chaotic comedy. It’s just horrible. Punchlines in Danshi Koukousei no Nichijou are all the copies of most generic jokes from kids comic like Koro Koro. Manga for six-year-old, such as Dangerous Jii-san, has better punchlines than Danshi Koukousei no Nichijou. Watching Danshi Koukousei no Nichijou makes me feel that I’m watching anime for five-year-old.
And also, depiction of female characters in this show is just bad. I wonder if those female characters have characteristics other than violent tendencies.

Art 5/10
There’s not much to criticize or praise about art in this show. I think art in this anime is good enough, considering this is a comedy show.

Sound 8/10
Sound is the only praiseworthy part of Danshi Koukousei no Nichijou.
When I heard the music in this show, I immediately understood this is the comedy anime about male characters. Melody feels like somebody is fooling around, and energetic guitar feels like several male characters are the one who are fooling around.
I think the music in this show did great job of creating right atmosphere for viewers.

Character 2/10
Characters doing stupid stuff without being funny is kind of unpleasant to watch.
Also, as I mentioned in “story“, girls is this show is pretty boring.
Violent tendencies is only characteristic that they have.

Enjoyment 2/10
Core of enjoyment in comedy anime is the quality of gags.
As I mentioned in “story”, jokes in this series are horrible.
I couldn’t enjoy this show at all.

Overall 3/10
Nothing great about this show, except for music.
I would recommend to avoid this show.