Nov 16, 2017
DarkRavie (All reviews)
Saiyuki is the story of Genjo Sanzo a monk that the gods charge to find why the peaceful demons are becoming mad and killing the humans. So with his 3 friends, Cho Hakkai, Son Goku and Sha Gojyo, they head west and have many adventures along the way.

My thoughts:
I truly loved watching this anime. The animation is very good and there's just something about a gun-totin' monk that just gives a 'je ne sais quoi' to the story. Following Saiyuki is Saiyuki Requiem (the movie), Saiyuki Reload and then Saiyuki Reload: Gunlock. Although sometimes the characters don't seem to like each other, it's my opinion that they in fact do care for each other like brothers. Their fights are more like siblings getting on each others nerves.

The anime has most everything in it; action, romance in a way, comic relief provided mostly by Gojyo and Goku, as well as their intense moments when fighting. What I like most is that the four trust each other with their lives and are there for one another.

The only thing I didn't like about this anime is that we don't see a true ending. All we see is they keep heading West, but they never reach their true destination. Hopefully sometime in the future they will come out with a 4th season and actually give us a true ending. This anime is one I recommend watching.

This is a review I wrote in 2008, I'm currently looking for any other Saiyuki anime that have been done since.