Oct 4, 2017
elledriverxc (All reviews)
Hacka Doll is a short-form parody anime (~5 min per ep once you subtract the op and end) that gets funnier as it goes along. It starts to pick up steam around episode 3, and really hits its stride around episodes 7 and 8 (my two favorites, I think). If you're not impressed by the first couple episodes, give it a chance -- it's not a huge time investment either way.

The basic concept is that Hacka Dolls are AI beings designed to help "advance" humanity, either on an individual level or a societal level. Certain Hacka Dolls have had great success in helping humans progress, but the titular Hacka Dolls -- Ichigo (#1), Nigo (#2), and Sango (#3) -- are inferior products with a low efficacy rating. In the first episode, #1, #2, and #3 are activated and sent into the world in order to raise their rating with "advancing" humans -- or risk being branded poorer quality models and terminated. The show follows these three particular Hacka Dolls (plus a latterly released #4, Yongo) as they go out into the world and attempt to "advance" humans in need of help. The first and the last episode tie into each other, but beyond that, the episodes are largely unrelated except that they each lampoon a discrete aspect of otaku culture and tv tropes.

The result, to my mind, is hilarious. Although there are times when the parody seems either overdone, overused, or sometimes weak, by and large Hacka Dolls succeeds in poking fun and generating laughs in a very self-aware kind of way. #1, #2, and #3 are taken right to the edge of parody -- close of enough to be funny, but not so over-the-top that it's like beating a dead horse. Add in #4 for some additional trope subversion ("chosen one" gone awry!) and Hacka Dolls walks away a success.

No complaints on my end in the art department. It can be a bit "Trigger-y" at time, which is fine by me.

Overall, a solid series, well worth the minimal time spent watching. It doesn't outshine some of the better short-anime-comedies I've seen (Uchuu Patrol Luluco or Senyuu.) but it's not without its own merit. 7.5/10 (but I'll round up!).