Aug 31, 2017
MoonBabyDoll (All reviews)

Started: 8/4/17
Finished: 8/26/17

Mermaid Melody Pichi Pichi Pure is the second series following Mermaid Melody Pichi Pichi Pitch. The other half of this super kawaii franchise was grown up, darker and very entertaining to watch. The 1st half left me SHOOK, as I thought all along the show would be childish and a waste of time, but I was wrong.

I LOVE this show, I did not want it to end.

Story: As I previously stated, the story is WAY more mature than it's predecessor. Luchia shows growth and control in dealing with her relationship with Kaito, and her two bffs Hanon and Rina also have love interests. In addition, we get great episodes with stories that still tie into the main plot.

Characters: You know how in the first series we didn't see much of the other mermaids? Well, you're in for a treat. Coco, Caren and Noelle all make respectable appearances and we get to know each of them a little bit better. We also get new villains and supporting characters (some being rather attractive) and of course familiar faces return.

Art: The artwork was the same as the first series. If you've read my review on the first half, you will recall how I noted that the animation is reminiscent of early 2000s anime and if the dub had been released in the U.S., it would've been on Cartoon Network or 4Kids TV or Kids WB (IMO).

Sound: The songs were BEAUTIFUL. I especially enjoyed the opening, "Before the Moment." I felt like the theme song fit the tone of the story perfectly; it was pretty and mysterious at the same time. (SN: my personal favorite song of this franchise is "Sekai de ichiban Hayaku Asa ga kuru basho.")

Entertainment: Unlike the first series, the music takes second place to the story line when it comes to what draws the viewer in. The troubles each character faces and fighting a new enemy is enough to make you binge 12 episodes in one day (yes, yes I did that...that's how I finished the show, actually...).

Overall, I give this show a solid 9 because it certainly earned it.

I do plan to read the manga because I'm not 100% satisfied with the ending and I will give my review on that.

The next MGA I'm watching is Tokyo Mew Mew, so please look out of that review in the next few weeks. Thanks for ready, sayonara!