Aug 26, 2017
Predator467 (All reviews)
The first Matrix is in my opinion one of the best science fiction films ever made and a real masterpiece. The follow up Reloaded is very flawed but still enjoyable. Revolutions on the other hand is just an awful ending to the trilogy. After watching the trilogy again I decided it was finally time to watch The Animatrix which I had heard very positive things about. The Animatrix consists of nine different shorts set in the Matrix universe (two of which are a two part story) the rest are not related. They are done by different directors and studios which gives all the shorts their own unique feel. The first short "Final Flight of the Osiris" is CG and the rest are traditional animation. The directors who were involved are: Andy Jones, Mahiro Maeda, Shinichirō Watanabe, Yoshiaki Kawajiri, Takeshi Koike, Kōji Morimoto and Peter Chung. While all the short films are not on the same level of quality I will say there was not one that I found I didn't enjoy. The first short was perhaps my least favorite and even it was okay. What I love about these shorts is how they add and expand upon the ideas of the Matrix universe. The two part short The Second Renaissance Part details how exactly the world became taken over by machines and why it is in the state it is in the Matrix films. Another short details how Kid from The Matrix Reloaded was brought out of the Matrix. Grading individual categories for this would be difficult as the shorts are all in different styles but I will say I really enjoyed all of them. The Animatrix isn't perfect however and there are some issues I had with it. The first short could've been expanded upon a bit more so it didn't feel like filler. Also some of the characters could've been fleshed out a bit more even though these are all shorts some definitely had better characters than others. There is also the short called Program which started out excellent but the ending ruined the themes of it for me.

Overall as a fan of The Matrix I really enjoyed this film and felt it had a great place in the universe. I do however recommend watching the Matrix trilogy before this as it you'll be able to see the ties this has to it.