Aug 9, 2017
MoonBabyDoll (All reviews)
Started: 3/2/17
Finished: 7/30/17

I first discovered this show 10 years ago (back in 2007 I was 13 and in the 8th grade, I was preoccupied with other anime) and I saw fan AMVs of Mermaid Melody and I passed it off as another typical MGA (Magical Girl Anime). During that time I'd only ever believed Sailor Moon, Cardcaptor Sakura and Mew Mew Power-the 4Kids dub- to be the only MGA that mattered.

Now, I’m 23 with a small child and I want child appropriate anime for him to watch.

This is perfect.

Story: the story was nice to follow, even with a slow start, it eventually left me wanting more after each episode. It has a nice and not too complex set up for a young viewer to follow. Also, I have not read the manga yet (I’m planning to so I can give an honest review) but this show has a manga series to match, making it a perfect first series for a young viewer to follow.

Character: I don’t care what anyone else has to say about the characters in this show, I liked how they differed and kind of mimicked the stereotype of character tropes in anime. You had the airhead, the mature one and the cool silent type as well as the cute boy and the mysterious character(s) AND the expected love interests among the characters.

Art: The artwork wasn’t bad but it didn’t make my toes curl; it’s pretty basic, but it’s reminiscent of the shows I use to watch as a kid in the early 2000s on FoxKids and WBKids and Cartoon Network.

Sound: I didn’t mind the voice actors and their acting at all, I felt they all fit the characters quite well. The music was catchy and memorable, it was definitely one of the best things about this show.

Entertainment: As I mentioned previously, the music was by far the most entertaining thing about this anime. The story lines each episode were decent with a few standing out and sticking with me (examples: episodes 19, 25, 27,28, 30, 35, 38, 42, 44, 45, 46 and 50).

Overall: This was a very good anime (score: 8) I recommend it to a viewer who is a fan of the MGA genre, a music lover, and to small children who are beginning their life long journey of anime -girl OR boy- let’s not gender discriminate, people!

I started the second season which is titled “Mermaid Melody Pichi Pichi Pure” on 8/4/17 and from what I can tell you after viewing the first two episodes, it looks like it’s darker and more mature than that of its predecessor. I’ll definitely give my review on it. Thanks for reading! Sayonara!