May 10, 2017
metalrain_15 (All reviews)
A young woman and a young man both on a journey of self-realization, and the latter half on his way to repentance and redemption.

"Koe No Katachi" is yet another masterpiece from the popular and ever-sensational studio, Kyoto Animation, and from its brilliant and rapidly growing author of its one-shot manga, Ooima Yoshitoki.

Koe No Katachi tells us a story of a young Ishida Shoya who was once a bully to a deaf young girl named Nishimiya Shouko and was doomed to being alone for the rest of his life until one day he decided that his life was more than just that and what he (and Shouko) really needed was to understand each other. The story is vibrant and complex yet sometimes comes as vexing or frustrating, but in that sense it shows you the beauty and the sophistication of a simple story (and how it can be more than just simple).

Story: 8 out of 10; I really loved the show. I really can't say much, but there were actual plot holes which I wish were never there. (I guess I really just have to buy and read the manga.)

Art and Animation: 10 out of 10; I LOVE KYOANI. Period.

Sounds and Music: 10 out of 10; the sounds and the music were stunning. I felt moved after that last part of the movie. I had trouble holding back my tears, and part of that was because of the music.

Characters: 9 out of 10; The characters may come eccentric and weak, but it's a drama. What can I say? The characters were actually portrayed in a sensible and tangible manner and that makes them feel unique and alive - like real people.

Enjoyment: 10 out of 10; I personally LOVE dramas and emotional roller coasters. I love bawling my eyes out while watching even though I know it's fiction. In short, rhetorically speaking - Koe No Katachi is right in my strike zone.

My verdict: 10 out of 10

NOTE: I truly believe that Koe No Katachi deserves more praise than the actual praise it gets now. Watch Koe No Katachi in the theaters! Support KyoAni and Ooima Yoshitoki-sensei! (I'm looking forward to more works of this exceptionally talented mangaka.)

May 10, 2017: Watched the full English-subbed movie on the big screen with my kanojo.