Apr 16, 2017
pooprocks (All reviews)
The fifth season of Natsume Yuujinchou was a true pleasure to watch. In this season, we see Natsume's friendships develop and grow. We learn more about his troubled past and the backstory behind the Fujiwaras.

Story: 9
One of my favorite aspects of Natsume Yuujinchou is how each episode stands alone. There is a distinct thought or feeling, a pearl that is revealed at the end of the episode as Natsume reflects upon what happens. He speaks directly to the audience. This is so powerful and so beautiful. And yet, there is a distinct thread that runs throughout the series. We see Takashi grow and mature. We see his friends follow him as well. But we also see Takashi's past as well. Overall, the story is cohesive and well-paced.

Art: 9
The art is certainly beautiful, and the landscapes are quite scenic. There is definitely attention to details and the animation is good too.

Sound:9
The soundtrack reinforces the key emotions of the show. Overall a pleasure, but not the best in the series.

Character:10
The character development is truly outstanding. This is what keeps this series going season after season.

We can all relate to the emotions and feelings that Natsume Takashi has. We admire Takashi's bravery and selflessness, and his genuine desire to help others, whether it be human, Ayakashi, or beast. He has a true heart of gold.

Nyanko-Sensei, the bumbling buta-neko, is a true companion. He claims to only want the Book of Friends, but we see that he has sincere concern for Takashi. They have such a cute relationship. And of course, they always find a way for Nyanko-Sensei to be gone so that Natsume can fight some of his battles on his own. It's pretty well done.

Taki and Tanuma are Natsume's somewhat spiritual friends. They're OK.

Kitamoto is the cutest character, besides maybe Takashi. He needs more screen time.

Enjoyment: 10
Definitely a pleasure to watch. Not so sad that it's a tear-jerker every episode, but it does taste a little bittersweet like a good dark chocolate.