Apr 8, 2017
KarsaOrlong (All reviews)
So here we have the fourth anime I've ever dropped. Not that this was a bad show, I just didn't feel it the way I thought I did.

The premise isn't special. Parallel universe attacks, then the world they attack attacks them back. I think I would have enjoyed this more if it stayed as a gritty military and political drama instead of adding sexy elves, magical girls and goth lolis.

It isn't really a bad show, but I feel that something needs to be more than simply "not bad" to stand out. The way I felt watching this reminds me how I felt during God Eater. Both were extremely generic, while managing to remain just good enough to be good. I should have dropped God Eater as well. I did not make that mistake again. What really bothers me about this show is that they can't seem to make up their mind about what they want the show to be. The Emperor using the JSDF to wipe out his political rivals was awesome, and I expected a lot more of that political ruthlessness right off the bat. Instead we get the protagonist recruiting girls into his harem.

The show looks good, sure. It sounds okay. But the characters aren't memorable. I didn't learn the names of any squad members, they were not interesting at all.

And yet...I still recommend this. If you're looking to kick back and enjoy something, then give this a shot.