Feb 15, 2017
baphometh (All reviews)
This is one of the first anime I've seen so far where I legitimately don't know where to start.

This is not a magical girl anime. Hell, this isn't even a slice of life anime. To be honest, I don't know what it is. What I do know is it's one of the most dreadful and baffling things I've ever seen.

To give you an idea on what happens in a typical episode...

-Naria Girls aim to do something
-Monster traps them in hallucination
-Naria Girls go on a tangent, going on about any random bullshit
-Kyubey ripoff says they're under attack, throws them their magic items, they kill the monster (as the monster promotes a random single... what's with that?) the end.
-Repeat until end of the series.

Now why do I think this show is complete shit? It's barely an excuse for an anime. In truth, it isn't really animation. The actors were motion captured and CGI rendered, which explains the character models clipping through each other. The non animated parts are just drawn stills. The voice acting is something else. It sounds like somebody set up a single microphone in a booth, got the three voice actors in, and just told them to chat absolute rubbish. The show actually had it's occasional funny moments, however, a lot of the time, it got so out of hand that they would just end up yelling over the top of each other. It is literally an improvised anime.

Now here's where it gets really ridiculous. This anime was BROADCAST ON TV!!! I actually wouldn't judge this as harshly if it was some ONA that was uploaded to YouTube or something, but this monstrosity somehow made it onto air. If that wasn't bad enough, the official website for Naria Girls has Blu-rays for sale. Someone thought this was good enough to put on shelves. Truly baffling.

And there you have it. Mahou Shoujo? Naria Girls. Although I think "Three VA's on Drugs? Naria Girls" would've been more appropriate.