Dec 31, 2016
SendPieSenpai (All reviews)
It's Natsume Yuujinchou. If you aren't following this series, you've either not tried it or slice of life anime is just not for you. That's okay if you don't like slower shows. Otherwise... Join us in the iyashikei world, where the world is good and pureness reigns and smiles are protected! Go! We'll see you at Roku!

OVERALL - 9
Always happy for more Natsume Yuujinchou. Heartwarming. Fluffy. Pure. Activates the "I must protect this smile!" instinct. Feels. Feels that are sometimes happy. Feels that are sometimes REALLY KINDA HEARTBREAKING??? Iyashikei but with an undertone of constant melancholy that almost makes you have multiple existential crises but then your heart is healed into a pure state? Aw yes!

STORY - rounded down 9.5
Short stories. Always superb. Some used this season were more dynamic than I've ever seen Natsume Yuujinchou show us before---more than enough to make up for some of the more forgettable ones (sorry).

ART/ANIMATION - 9
So we have moved from Brain's Base to Shuka. There's reason to be skeptical of this infant studio that tends to slack of halfway, but they poured a lot into consistantly making Natsume beaut-- I mean, Natsume Yuujinchou beautiful, haha. The softer colour palette and more pencil-like lines compliment the iyashikei feel. And it's hard to not melt a little bit (or, you know, a LOT) at the very gentle and fluid animation every time Natsume smiles. Good to know Shuka knows where to pour the most effort.

SOUND/MUSIC - 8
Natsume Yuujinchou uses the same lovely OST every season with only some new tracks, so let's just talk about the OP/ED. Like the OP: makes me excited for more Natsume. Love the ED: reminds me of Zoku's ending which is my personal favourite.

CHARACTERS - 9
It's season 5. You know who you love and who you disapprove of by now. (If you don't like Natsume himself within 1-3 episodes of the first season... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Sorry, he's the MC and a boy of kindness & good intentions whose Shuka-animated smile I will always treasure.)

ENJOYMENT - 10
It's season 5.

Additional Ratings : SEIYUU - 10 (Kamiya Hiroshi. Jun'ichi Suwabe. The usual cast. The usual greatness) ; CINEMATOGRAPHY - 9