Nov 5, 2016
Josh (All reviews)
My Lesbian Experience With Loneliness is a tragicomic autobiography. Kabi Nagata frankly recounts her unfinished journey towards adulthood, including experiences with loneliness, mental illness, sexual confusion, and angst. The content of Nagata's report is frightful, the delivery funny.

In My Lesbian Experience With Loneliness, Nagata broadcasts her darkest thoughts as she works through personal struggles. She takes ownership of her struggles and doesn't look for anyone to blame. Her family, friends, and coworkers are portrayed as kind and helpful, even though Nagata's parents often misunderstand her. Nagata's humble approach to autobiography is refreshing and makes her character sympathetic.

The style of narration is deadpan and Nagata makes many quips. She also uses irony and caricature to introduce humour and reduce the emotional heaviness of an otherwise serious story. My Lesbian Experience With Loneliness does contain some moments of sober reflection, which are powerful and help Nagata avoid coming across as flippant.

Overall, My Lesbian Experience With Loneliness offers much to be appreciated. At six chapters, you can't go wrong.