Aug 11, 2016
FLCL (Anime) add (All reviews)
SirKnight007 (All reviews)
I finally finished 'FLCL', the anime everybody is talking about.It's one of Gainax's OVA, and you cannot call yourself a true Gainax fan until you watched it. Was it good? Was it bad? was it TOO much for the human brain to compromise? Let's find out.

Story - 8/10
I have to be honest here, when I first started watching the show, I had mixed feelings about it. Mainly because I was stuck on whether I should watch it in dub, or sub (I chose the latter). When I watched the first two episodes, I was rather confused and turned off (Not THAT kind of "turned off"). The story was bizarre and haphazard, it didn't make sense. Then, the most funniest thing happened. I took a nap, and when I woke up and gave episode 3 a go, I was enjoying it. The story was more comprehensible now. I guess I was a little tired and sleep-deprived when I watched the first two episodes. When I watched the series, I knew it was a coming-of-age story, with hidden meanings and deep symbolism, which I will get to later. Just a word of caution, this anime is TOO insane for your brain to handle. So be sure to eat plenty of WTF chips and Mind#@&* soda (For an affordable price of nigh-d-nigh sense!!!)

Art - 7/10
Now we get to the weak department. You know Gainax is notorious for having a small wallet when it comes to the Art department. Just look at Gurren Lagaan and Evangelion (Though the latter was smart, yet heart-breaking, the former was downright sad *cough*Episode 4*cough*). However, that does not mean it does not utilizes this weakness.Very few media form EVER managed to use a weakness to their own advantage. Evangelion like before, though controversial, felt rather well used, compared to other media that stumbles in this department. FLCL uses it's hand-drawn childishly wacky art, to convey the insanity you are about to experience. Small reminder - Do take a break every now and then, and don't watch this anime if you are feeling groggy. It will only ruin the quality of the anime. Same goes for the others too. And when the anime cranks it's art quality to the max, it does it well. The 1st episode,the 3rd and the later part of the 5th(The latter two being my personal favourite), showcased this VERY well.

Sound - 9/10
I loved it. The soundtrack has to be the most hum-able ones I've listened to since 'Cowboy Bebop' and 'Soul Eater'. The show does an excellent job of playing music when you feel like going crazy and say "#@&* logic! GUITAR PHYSICS!!!!!!!!!!". Preference might change. What we CAN agree on, is that the ending is #@&*ing awesome. Truly reflects the tone of the show and gives you that much needed break. Now where's that sentient scooter that was seen picking up hot chicks not that long ago?
As for the voice-acting, I went for the subs. But you can enjoy it dubbed too. However, there were times when the cast, especially in EXTREME situations, would pull out a Trolls 2 (oh my gooooooooooooood.). My favourite seiyuu has to go to Haruko's. She was insane, yet normal, crazy, yet reasonable, maniacal, but reliable. Naoto's Seiyuu was pretty good too. They did a good job of portraying a young boy who is going through a serious case of puberty NO human can bear to go through.

Character - 8.6/10
Yeah, 8.6. You can't see it, but I gave it 9, but the raw score is 8.6. Sure, some characters might be your token characters, but the main cast is well written. They might sound dull due to the voice-acting, but admit it, was there a time in your life where YOUR reaction was anime-like? No? Good (Unless it's another news that HxH is in another hiatus, or that Attack on Titan S2 is getting another delay, or Boku no Pico is getting a live-action adaptation). There are only two words to say about the characters, Normal and relate-able. However, there is only one word for the Gal that steals the show, Haruhara Haruko, Insane as #@&*! (Wait, that was THREE words). Anything else.

Enjoyment - 9/10
I actually enjoyed it. This is definitely one of those anime that is so good it's bad, or at least I think. But that's my opinion. The story is not for everyone, but if you turn off your brain from the logic and try to breathe the craziness, you may or may not find it enjoyable too watch. One of the anime's strength is that it's easy to REwatch. It's only six episodes. So, you are most likely to enjoy it on the second, or third re-run. But one thing's for sure. You'll never fully understand the ENTIRE message of the anime. This is one of the few animes that made me realize MY flaws. When I was watching 'Hellsing' (Dubbed), I was getting mixed feelings. Why? Because of a fricking head-ache. So I couldn't enjoy it, and I had to put it on hold (GREAT, Now I'm going to get executed!!!). And just as it made the protagonist get over his puberty, it made me realize that if I'm gonna enjoy an anime, I have to enjoy it without ANY external variables, especially head-aches.

Overall - 9/10 (Gained an extra point for the reason that I will now mention)
In the end, FLCL is like 'The Big Lebowski'. The plot doesn't seem to go anywhere, or for any reason, but there will be colleges talking about it's deep meaning and symbolism.People will be writing books about it, and no Philosophy class will be complete without a Blu-ray disk of FLCL, to use in lectures. To the point of people calling it a masterpiece! Not everyone will agree though, but hopefully, they will after a couple of re-watches (OR not). I was totally blown away when I heard a sequel in the making, coming next year, and I just can't wait.Hopefully, it will be just as good as the original, with double the mind#@&*s. Should you watch this? If you like Gurren Lagaan, definitely, and if possible, you might even love it. Just don't think and SWING that guitar like a crazy, hyperactive maniac, because Life isn't going anywhere, YOU are.