Aug 8, 2016
Joby05 (All reviews)
You know what... this series gets a pretty bad wrap for what I consider nonsense reasons. I am REALLY glad the trailer had a badass metal thing going on so I gave it a chance because it was actually pretty refreshing. Don't let the haters dissuade you, this is definitely worth a watch.

Story: 8/10
The story is actually quite interesting. You have Ibuki who is given the power of the Red Dragon (to kill someone precious to him in order to kill someone else). You would think this would be fairly common in anime but this is the first and only time I've ever seen this concept explored. I know metaphorically it is explored through hard choices that get you to the same place but never has it literally been a life for a life. I think this is pretty cool. Also, the story may have a few issues (killing Red dragon gets completely sidetracked in the middle) but it all flows logically. The characters follow a logical path, the 3 sides are all represented clearly and their goals make sense and on top of that the story builds to a final battle and there is a concrete conclusion (if not a lil sappy and a bit open ended). I don't want to spoil it so I can't go into much more but trust me there are lots of twists and turns and the story develops well.

Art: 8/10
It looks pretty good. Unique character models, the SG isn't done excessively and isn't too jarring and the art does a good job of setting the mood.

Sound: 8/10
In episode 1 when the intro theme kicks in (during a badass scene near the end) I knew this anime was going to be awesome. The fighting sounds are fine, the music is solid and the voice acting is done well.

Character: 6/10
This is the weakness of this show. There isn't enough character development (this is one where there is a lot of false character development in the form of tragedy instead of true evolution). Another thing that bugs me is that characters seem to gain powers over time in convenient ways (this is hardly something unique to this series). I will admit there are a lot of tropes going on with the characters but the angles they take are unique (a character that breaks anything he touches is pretty interesting) and most of the characters are done in such a way that you will like or hate them. Also. people will die and I appreciate that.

Enjoyment: 7/10
I liked it. It felt a bit short (is that a good thing?) but before I knew it there were only a few episodes left. I liked the unique angles and the direction they took the show. The characters were appealing and it wasn't afraid to confront death (I mean hell the outro of the show basically had a "kill counter" that crossed out in red an of Ibuki's comrades that died with a special X for those dying that episode). Little things like that really enhanced the enjoyment.

Overall: 7/10
It was good. I have no idea why people disliked it so much (and I'm not going to waste my time finding out). This one is good. You will like it if you don't think too deeply and just accept that it is fairly unique and tells a complete (if not a bit short) story. Enjoy!