May 26, 2016
Taiphou (All reviews)
The 2nd season for Diamond no Ace keeps the hope of winning a ticket to national tournament alive!

Story: Like almost every sport anime I have seen the goal is very simple indeed. (Baby Steps, Prince of Tennis) Still the story keeps surprising by different factors which are common in real life, not everything can go as planned. This is exactly why Diamond no Ace gives this refreshing "slice-off" life feeling. Even though the story isn't that awesome, they manage to perform so well. Main protagonists are pitcher Sawamura Eijun, Furuya Satoru and catcher Miyuki Kazuya, but because of this is about baseball a team sport we will also watch how other players will grow as a players. Story pacing is very good, individual elements like slice of life amazing! Especially the moments where pitcher was about to pitch felt thrilling. Ending was satisfying and almost just almost got tear.

7/10

Art: Art is pretty memorable, but nothing "overly" unique. Animation is fluid through the whole series. Character design is well done and my favorite is Miyuki Kazuya. Best animations were in action scenes so pitching and batting were intense, well described and overall good. Background animations and so on weren't impressive quite dull, but at least they managed to do the most important thing right!

8/10

Sound: Characters voice actors were very fitting and I liked a lot of Kataoka Tesshin voice. Background music was the most amazing of all sounds. They enhanced feelings like fear, excitement, frustration and the moment when you success and win! My favorite OSTS are Grow Stronger step by step, Grow stronger day by day theme of Sawamura (same kind of as the earlier one) and Climb over Wall. I think they are pretty much the same as in previous season. (Can't remember the one they used when batting to intensify the feeling). Openings (2x) are catchy, but I liked the final opening much more. Endings are good but nothing significant.

10/10

Characters: Characters are almost well-rounded but for some odd reason there is a trend for little bit "dumb" characters. Fortunately it doesn't stick out that much that it would disturb. Characters reacted to things realistically especially in depression, feeling of the loss and victory. Character growth isn't that versatile but it happens when people want to learn from their mistakes or support their teammates. Sawamura learns to be more confident in his pitches and Furuya learns the responsibility as a pitcher. Characters like Sawamura, Furuya, Miyuki and Haruichi are more fleshed in the series than their teammates. There aren't any "villains" there are just amazing players who want to win for different reasons. I will remember especially the main characters I said and probably Haruichi and Miyuki better because I liked their design more.

8/10

Enjoyment

Sport anime can split opinions from one end to other end, but I started watching sport anime with a little hesitation, but pretty open minded. So yes, I think that non-anime fans can enjoy this if they are pretty close to sport overall. Re-watching this series will lower the emotions which were felt because successful and unsuccessful pitches and batting are remembered. This anime is memorable also because I don't watch that much sport anime but also because I enjoyed a lot considering that it's belongs to "sport" genre.

10/10