Apr 1, 2016
AllenHavens92 (All reviews)
Despite what some may say just by looking at any images or promotional stuff for this series, I am not afraid to say that I have, without any regret, enjoyed Aikatsu! to its fullest!

First off, the story is very simple: a group of girls aim to be the best idols by attending an academy that solely focuses on idol training. That's pretty much the gist of it. Of course, you have to understand this series is supposed to be for kids. However, there's something about watching each episode that feels satisfying. If ever I'm having a bad day, or I'm getting tired of seeing other shows that are serious and dark, Aikatsu! always brings a smile to my face.

The characters is one of the aspects that makes it its own. There are a myriad of characters that we see, and they all have their own unique personalities. What's great about them is all of them have plenty of screen time to be able to get a good judge on them. With the roster they have, I'm sure there's bound to be a fanbase for each one, which is great.

While the animation isn't all too special (and, likewise, there are times when we see a dip in quality), it's really more about the character designs. It's not just the personalities that make the character stand out, it's how they look. Just by looking at them, you will be able to tell who they are.

Finally, we cannot forget about the music, for without it, it wouldn't be Aikatsu! in the first place. With each episode, there are songs written specifically for the show. You will hear them as the opening and ending themes or as inserts; they are performed by the fictional characters, but, surprisingly, not by their voice actors. There are so many songs, it's unbearable, and I have all of them. Every single song is so catchy, it's hard not to love them!

As you can see, I'm giving this so much praise, despite it only being a kids show. But, does it have to not be a kids show in order to make it seem not weird? The show is harmless entertainment. I've stuck around with this series since episode one, and that was three and a half years ago. It shocks me that it's run for this long; I had originally thought it'd end by at least two cours. At first, I thought it was so-so, but as it went on, my love for it grew more. It even came to the point where I practically cry with each episode because of how much I love it (the last episode was no better).

If you're looking for some good old fun with great characters, awesome music to dance to, and you don't care what the general audience for the show is, I'd say give Aikatsu! a shot.