Jul 29, 2015
Kokko (All reviews)
"All the rules in the world were made by someone no smarter than you. So make your own."

-Jaden Smith

Darwin taught us "Survival of the Fittest". In Gen Urobuchi's fantastical creation only the strongest survive, and those who cannot adapt are thrown in a ditch. This movie is intellectually stimulating like no other, with references to smart writers like Marcel Proust. This is the first time I've heard someone mention Proust in an anime.
This time the villain does not carry around 1984 like Makishima Shougo, which I've heard is a very good book. Nay, this time the theme is post-colonialism, which is clearly evidenced by a book the mercenary villain reads and then proceeds to quote from.

The movie doesn't as much ask questions as straight out say that a caged reality is better than freedom. This is very novel and instead of being preachy, it made me feel very enlightened, transcendent even.

Among the characters of Psycho Pass the Movie is Mika Shimotsuki, Akane's junior partner. Mika deeply dislikes Akane on a professional level. This is simply because Mika implicitly trusts the system. If the system tells her someone is a criminal and should be exploded in a mass of blood and gore, she does it and feels no guilt. Along the same lines, she largely treats the enforcers under her command as expendable tools that must be kept on a tight leash.

Akane, on the other hand, simply sees everyone as a person. To her, killing is the absolute last resort in any situation, criminal or no. She would rather put herself in harm’s way and attempt to talk a person down than to take the safe and easy shot. To Mika, this is quite literally unthinkable.

Kougami, a returning fan-favourite, the morally grey ex-cop. His quoting skills are on a whole 'nother level. He skillfully weaves quotes into the dialogue, and helpfully states the source to the audience and what the quote really means, which makes him even more intelligent. He understand so much!

The three characters are opposites to each other: the average citizen in PP's world, a person who has similar values to us (Akane) and the morally grey man. This is done with such intelligence and wit that I am baffled Urobuchi came up with it, smart as he is. Not even Christopher Nolan can beat him in terms of smart writing.

I'll end this review with one of my favourite quotes, and I hope that you will be as enlightened as me come the credits.

"To be intellectually stimulated is to grasp the understanding of our universe: nowhere but in anime can we find the knowledge to deduce the human condition"

-Kokko