Jul 19, 2015
Keatle (All reviews)
Tokyo Godfathers is a work by Satoshi Kon, produced by Madhouse and was released in 2003. It is an original story set in the not-so-beautiful setting of Tokyo and deals with the themes of abandonment and family.
The whole story is completed in a matter of days, but so much happens in such a short time.

These characters that, at first, seem like caricatures slowly reveal their true selves to each other and grow closer. They evolve past the first impressions and leave a mark on the audience. This was, at least for me, the highlight of this 90 minutes long movie.

However, the story itself didn't impact me as much. It is heavily built around coincidences, actually, pretty much everything that happens is a coincidence. From the very first scene to the very last. At first, I didn't have a problem with that, but I got progressively got more annoyed with it, because it made me feel that these wonderfully built characters didn't have any real influence on how the movie panned out.

Surely, some people will enjoy this, but for me it felt as if Kon didn't have a logical way of resolving the situation and needed to create an easy way to make everything work. While the characters and the story itself are great, they were presented as if it didn't really matter who was involved, because everything would have sorted itself out, even if this wasn't the case.

Which is a shame really, because everything else is top-notch.

The visuals are stunning and incredibly detailed, despite the fact that its style hasn't aged very well. The character expressions are also wonderful, managing to portrayal the emotions of the characters perfectly, albeit exaggerating a bit too much.

The soundtrack is also great, having an incredible mix of christmassy music and orchestral pieces.

It is, for sure, one of the best Christmas movies I have ever watched, despite its great flaw, in my eyes. I am not religious in any way, but it conveys everything that Christmas should stand for: family.