Jan 8, 2008
Beatnik (All reviews)
The Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex TV anime series is one of, if not the best in the history of TV anime in my opinion. There hasn't ever been such a topical and relevant anime to Japan. The fact that it's written intelligently demanding the viewer pay attention, and is filled with all the hallmarks of a compelling moving picture makes it a classic for the ages. No hyperbole, I'm totally serious.

Solid State Society is a feature length anime that continues the character arcs left dangling from the second season's conclusion. Motoko has left Section 9, Togusa has taken her place as captain and Batou is all moody because Motoko's not around.

Not only is it an original thriller but its also another great homage, not only to Masamune Shirow's original Ghost in the Shell manga, but to Mamoru Oshii's Ghost in the Shell feature length anime film. Uber fans will notice all the respectful nods to original source material immediately.

The story broaches issues like Japan's high percentage of elderly due to low birth rates, the abuse of children, and contemporary issues of race and nationality; all prevalent issues in Japan's society today that you will barely see examined in mainstream feature films, let alone anime, which makes this all the more astonishing.

The music by Yoko Kanno is excellent as always, the voice acting perfect, the animation top notch. Production I.G continues to push anime forward.