Mar 23, 2015
animesthabomb (All reviews)
“It's time to say goodbye, but I think goodbyes are sad and I'd much rather say hello.”

A near-direct epilogue to Steins;Gate, this special gives a more profound sense of closure to the series that, while ending very well, had many viewers wishing for more. Just a little bit more…

Taking place not long after the events of the original series, ‘Oukoubakko no Poriomania’ uses a simple premise to further along the story: a bit of downtime. Feyris has invited Okabe, Kurisu, Mayuri and the others to go to America with her for a Rai-Net tournament. Our main characters all meet up at the airport, and a tiny bit of adventure with the gang ensues.

The characters are all still the same, the animation and music are still of the same quality, all of those facets from the series carry over. And, thankfully, the emotional core is still intact and is shown delicately and subtly through the special… culminating at the end.

*Slight spoiler below, if you have not finished the main series than the ending above is more than enough for what you need to know*

Most importantly, the ending of the special clarifies and addresses the main question brought up by the original ending, that being what exactly has (and will) become of the relationship between Kurisu and Okabe.