Mar 12, 2015
whiteteeth (All reviews)
I'm going to be sincere, i heard of this anime because everyone on the internet kept saying that it was a "Madoka Rip-off". But as i believe you can't judge before watching it yourself, i went on and watch it.
My conclusion: people really exaggerate, it definitely isn't a rip-off. It does have some common grounds, but Genei Wo Kakeru Taiyou has proved to me that it stands as it's own series.

Genei Wo Kakeru follows the same formula that most Magical Girl shows have, the only difference it's that, apart from the grim factor, it handles very mature topics.
Each character that is infected by the villain by accepting a contract with him suffers from a human problem: Jealousy, anger, sadness, isolation... we all have experimented that once, and maybe sometimes, if someone came to us in our darkest moment, and offer as a deal, would we prefer giving up on our humanity in order to punish those who have wronged us? Or maybe give up our souls in order to save the life our best friend?

I think we can consider this show to be divided in "two parts". The first seven episodes shows us the most exterior part of the conflict, while Akari tries to come into terms with what her job as an Elemental Tarot implies, and she befriends her new teammates.
It's in episode 8 when we FINALLY get to the real plot and the story takes a very dark (and bloody) twist.
I really enjoyed the first 7 episodes, but i believe, as this story is only 14 episodes long, it would have been better if they started introducing the real conflict from the beginning, instead of waiting until half the series and only having a bunch of episodes left to tie everything neatly. They also could have used those first seven episodes more wisely, for example by explaining better more aspects about the Sefiro Fiore, or about the main character themselves. It seemed to me that the only character who had a personal growth through the story was Akari, and only because she was the protagonist. I think there were a lot of missed chances here, but that doesn't make this a bad series either.
But anyway, i really appreciate the change episode 8 gave to the story, as it made it more interesting to watch... i was enjoying previous episodes but i was starting to get bored.

The only thing that bugs me is that there were a lot of things that were left without an explanation. I don't know if this means there is going to be a season 2, but i hope they make it, because if not it will always feel that the story is incomplete.

In my personal taste, i also didn't like the character design... but it wasn't bad either, and it's only a matter of taste. On the other hand, i really liked the battle scenes and the special effects on the character's attacks. Also, Akari's hair animation once she transforms is really awesome to watch.

But all in all, i found it a really enjoyable series. I'm glad this series was able to maintain all the Magical Girl genre's essence, but still being able to step a bit more over the line and handle other things that can appeal to older viewers. Don't be discourage to watch it by those who criticize it by comparing it to Madoka... i think we should appreciate both series as their own, and be happy that the industry is now opening itself to bring the Magical Girls to a new level, by making content for the older fans.