Dec 21, 2014
CecaniahCorabele (All reviews)
When Sword Art Online II appears, a beam of light peep out in my mind and hope that the sequel able to cover all its mistakes.

But again, my hope was shattered into a dust

Based off the light novel written by Reki Kawahara, Sword Art Online II is a sequel of Sword Art Online. The series started after the Alfheim Online's Arc, in a new game called Gun Gale Online, where a string of deaths begins occurring in the game. Our main character, Kirigaya Kazuto is assigned to enter Gun Gale Online to investigate the cause of the deaths.

The story is divided into 3 arcs: Gun Gale Online (or Phantom Bullet), Calibur, and Mother's Rosario.

The story adapts the same conflict of the previous series (the point of murdered inside a game), but in a different way. The story offers us a great action and fierce battle scene. At the Gun Gale Online arc, the story has a decent orientation and still manage to bring the main idea of the story itself. But after the GGO arc, I found out that Sword Art Online once again failed to live up to my expectation. After the GGO arc, there is a dull arc (Calibur Arc) where the fillers leak out from all directions. Into the last arc, Mother's Rosario is an arc that transforms this into a drama series in a bad way. They force up a few episodes into tears while forgetting the main story itself, and causes a heavy damage to the ending itself. Again, SAO is failed to revive itself.

Let's forget the story section and move to the animation section. The animation is done by A-1 Picture, they bring a wonderful and attractive animation which became the main reason to watch this anime. And became the diamond itself within the series.

As for the sound section, the seiyuu did fairly well when bringing such character to the screen. The 1st opening theme "Ignite" sung by Eir Aoi really describe the GGO arc very well, the other soundtracks are decent.

Again, Sword Art Online II does the same poor development on the character section. Our new female lead, Sinon is the only character that having an interesting and meaningful development. While our male lead, Kirigaya Kazuto is far behind our new female lead, same as our old female lead, Yuuki Asuna. The Kirito's harem and his friend are same too. Other characters besides Sinon are not having a single development at all. Also, the main antagonist of the GGO arc had a relatively weak motive.

I found Sword Art Online II shine brightly in my enjoyment at the Gun Gale Online arc. After that, SAO doesn't have anything in its storage, just a dull and fair entertainment in our glance. It is fairly recommended to the big fans of the SAO series. Overall, I think SAO once again fell into the darkness.....