Oct 21, 2014
roaps (All reviews)
Do you ever get that choked, somehow disappointed feeling when you finish a great show or movie? A void that lingers in your mind, trying to piece together everything you just watched? Perhaps you lean back in your chair, comfortable and content at a good ending, ready to move on to the next one. Or, like me, you curl up in your bed or floor, both incredibly happy but sad at the same time, thoughts racing through the mind. For many, this feeling is a prevalent and very real emotion, but one that is strangely awkward to place a label on. We can't quite stick our fingers on it, and say for certain, "Yep, this particular emotion is what is causing this." For in reality, it is a whole mixture of things, different feelings that have built to create this... suffocation of the mind.

When characters become so endearing and the story becomes so interesting, it's difficult to let go of preconceptions and selfish desires. Desires to, for a lack of a better word, fill in the gap for the future of the beloved characters. To want to know more, more about the new world that they have entered through their actions in this movie. How they will grow, how they will learn to cope with difficulties, together. We don't want to be left out of their future adventures, and that is one of the great hallmarks of a truly great show or movie. To leave an impression, and change the viewer's mindset on whatever it may be. And while some may argue that this movie did in fact have an excellent ending that finalizes all things past and present, I differ slightly.

It is because it has such a great ending that, paradoxically, it does not.

It keeps the future in a haze (although some may argue that the future is clear and defined).
It leaves more questions than it answers (although some may argue that all questions have been laid to rest and satisfactorily answered).

It selfishly ends itself on a high note, with a cinematic and unquestionable "thud". It tells the audience that all is well, and yet sneaks in the false feelings of anticipation and hope. It dramatically and slowly closes its doors on that beloved story with a smile, leaving the rest of the character's lives up to the imagination of the viewer. Are the viewers to be left happy in the dark, when the play has finished, when the actors and actresses have bowed to the audience, the curtains lowered and the lights dimmed? And in a ironic and unexpectedly cruel twist, one may find that it may have been "better" to end the story ambiguously.

Opinion is not the greatest tool of measurement, that much is clear. The opinions of the viewer cannot change what has already happened. All that we can do is reflect on the past and look forward to the future. And the process of moving on is perhaps the most difficult part of watching any show or movie.