Oct 11, 2014
Lydiia (All reviews)
A classic shounen anime that I'm not too fond of. I know this is a popular anime but I honestly don't think it deserves it's popularity. It was just eh.

Story: The world that this plot takes place in consists of two dimensions joined as one, like a mirror. The first is the world in which humans live, Assiah. The other is the world of demons, Gehenna. (MyAnimeList.net summary part)
The Plot revolves around a young boy called Rin Okumura and his twin brother Yukio Okumura, both sons of the demon king, Satan. They both end up attending True Cross Academy due to reasons that I don't want to spoil. And there, Rin decides to become an exorcist. Meanwhile, Yukio was already a exorcist, but why? Yukio doesn't seem to have demonic powers, but Rin does, and everytime he uses his demonic sword, Kurikara, he seems to lose control of his powers and himself. All the meanwhile, Satan is lurking beneath the surface waiting to take the form of someone powerful enough to contain him (Maybe someone with demonic powers like Rin? Or maybe not) and take over Assiah for specific reasons. The overall story actually takes place in school/or school-related activities outside of school, rather than random demonic fight scenes, which I didn't mind that much. I thought the story was all over the place though, and the ending just didn't make any sense to me. The series lacked the depth needed to keep the story interesting, and had no comedy to keep me interested. Random fighting going on that I didn't really enjoy either.

Art: Just like any other modern day anime... It was decent, nothing too special though.

Sound: I actually liked both the openings of the anime, they were really good! Furthermore, the soundtracks of the anime actually kept my attention onto the anime, without the epic music, I'm not sure if I would have actually payed attention to the fighting or useless dialogue going on. Very good music.

Character: The characters lacked depth. Overtime, there was supposedly development/change in the characters because of what they've experienced, but I didn't really notice any significant development or change other than the fact that the Okumura brothers went from innocent and pure to corrupt and berserk, back to being heroic brothers and saving the day in the end. Typical shounen... Too many minor characters that disappear without another trace. The only memorable character was Memphisto because he was the only entertaining, funny character. Everyone else was really dull, boring, and honestly besides the Okumura brothers, pointless.

Enjoyment: Not terrible, but definitely not a memorable anime that I'd recommend to everyone. If you like to watch shounen anime that include exorcists, and devils with random action then I guess this anime would be enjoyable for you. I don't know, Ao no Exorcist just didn't appeal to me as much as I had hoped it would from it's popularity.