Sep 27, 2014
DangoSage (All reviews)
So somewhere, someone finally got the message that the harem genre is getting stale and is in dire need of a new twist. So why not instead of girls going after a male harem lead, we make the entire cast go after something else instead?

Oh I don't know, maybe a cheap apartment unit filled with PLOT DEVICES?

New Meta.

No one has ever done that before in the history of harem animes.

Why make an anime to pander to a certain audience when you can pander to every single harem fan? The anime is a culmination of genres from all across the harem spectrum. It has magic, supernatural, science fiction, all fit into one convenient dorm room at the price of 5000 yen a month.

However, while at first glance "Rokujouma no Shinryakusha!?" may seem like an innocent entry to our beloved genre but as I dig deeper it seems the anime depicts important aspects that resonates within our modern societies.

The series begins with Kotaro Satomi, another independent spirit high schooler whom went out of his way to live on his own. He found a really cheap room in a dorm where he could call a home and made haste to secure his newly found independence. But little did he know with his new independence lies foreign interests, with an invasion in mind for their personal gain. Right of the bat we could see that the road to a secure and peaceful life is not an easy one. Despite already acquiring the dorm unit legally, Kotaro Satomi is challenged by foreign invaders whom claim their right to the room and do not acknowledge this process simply because they had personal interest at stake. These girls have a common motivation.

They all wanted the D. The Dorm room to be exact.

So let's take a look at all these interests at stake here.

We begin with Sanae Higashihongan, a ghost girl. She depicts claims that historical rights precedes any other form of contract. Being the longest "unliving" tenant, her claim to the dorm room was because "she was there first." A simple claim many would be familiar with in our modern society when discussing land settlements. Nevertheless, she has proven that she could integrate with her new host, both benefiting from a mutually beneficial partnership.

Yurika Nijino is a magical girl. Often confused for a cosplayer, she represent the unfavourable view some hobbies are observed by certain part of society. Despite being made the comic relief and joke amongst the cast, she is undoubtedly one of the strongest, being able to avert crisis many times in the series. With this power she sees the responsibility of securing the dorm room which is a good source of PLOT DEVICE. Being a clutz, Yurika projects an image that even a powerful entity is not immune from ridicule and mistakes.

Kiriha Kurano is a descendant of the Earth People. Her story depicts a civilization that at one point was blessed with great accomplishment but was forced to move underground for unknown reasons. Her people wanting to once again regain their glory days was split between two camps. Kiriha was a moderate aiming for a peaceful integration of their societies whereas the other significant following was leaning more towards terrorism. Nothing less than a violent invasion would satisfy them even at the cost of innocent lives.

Theiamillis Gre Fortorthe is an intergalactic alien princess. She depicts a spoiled generation blessed with the technological advances her predecessors passed down. She has little regard to moderation and often risk blowing thing out of proportion. The lack of an adult figure present in her life could be a contributing factor as she was left in the care of her babysitter, Ruth, who is her voice of reason. Theia symbolises adult negligence and her moral code was shaped by media she observed for example the Blue Knight fairytale that she is engrossed with. Her need to conquer the dorm room was established by her predecessor as a test and her relentlessness was a symbol of a generation that needs to constantly proof themselves.

Ruthkhania Nye Pardomshiha is Theia's certified babysitter. She depicts my irrational fear of beetles. Yeap that's pretty much it.

Then there's also other characters whom have no interest in the dorm room.

Harumi Sakuraba is a senior and president of the knitting club whom Kotaro Satomi is a part of. She depicts the sweeping craze that is plaguing our young minds in this era known as "Senpai Please Notice Me" Kotaro Satomi is constantly trying to win her affection but unwitting created a distance between them as her acts very reserved around her, comparatively with the other girls.

Shizuka Kasagi, the landlady whom is the driving force behind the establishment of the Corona Convention. The convention of course is merely for show as such with many treaties in history. Despite being a strong figure established for peaceful resolutions, her indecisiveness to actually solve who owns the dorm room had subsequently caused many other proxy wars to take place, much to the despair of her own self. (Much like a certain world organization)

While initially leading me to believe that this anime was going to be about the tenants fighting it out in games and political manoeuvring to gain ownership of the dorm as shown in the second episode. Eventually it just became a slice of not your usual life where the girls try to curry favour with Kotaro because they all knew he was the rightful owner of the room and because screw metas, we're going back to male harem lead.

I take no issue with the art style as I did enjoy the variety of special effects each associated with the specific theme. Animation was done up to the current industry standards so I have no problem with that as well. Music wise to be fair, I know how the anime industry love recycling their soundtracks but I was expecting with the different themes involved, each female character would actually get some kind of distinctive character soundtrack. The opening song is somewhat catchy but not one that would stick in your head for a while.

While I did enjoy the series, I was expecting more from a title that was ambitious enough to combined a huge diversity of themes as their female cast. Each girl was given about two episodes for their arc which of course fell short to actually provide a real insight into their personality, probably just a tease for viewers to actually pick up the light novel. But then again, I might be expecting too much out of the harem genre. Overall, the diversity is a nice change in pace. The lack of harem cast overbearingness is a step in the right direction. The little twist at the end was a gentle slap to my face for forgetting something happened in the first episode which I cast aside due to the escalation of female invaders. So give it a try, draw your own conclusions on what this anime is about or take it at face value for what it is.