Sep 19, 2014
literaturenerd (All reviews)
Overview:

Since I have lately focused on largely forgotten anime that actually did air on American TV, I decided I really had to do Yoroiden Samurai Troopers AKA Ronin Warriors. This show aired on Toonami in the afternoon alongside DBZ, Gundam Wing, and Sailor Moon. What made this one stick out is that it is several years older than most of the anime from Toonami and really has that vintage 1980s look and feel to it. Although it certainly has some flaws, it is a cheesy fun experience that still commands a cult following in 2014. Actually, it was recently announced that this series is going to be re-released on blu-ray!

Plot and characters: 4/10

The plot is that an evil demon was defeated over 1,000 years ago and his mighty armor was divided into 9 separate suits, each having a different element and virtue that it represents. Of course this means that 5 suits end up being used by the good guys and 4 by bad guys because it is fucking MANDATORY for every anime and Sentai (NOT hentai you pervs) show in this genre to feature a 5 man team. It is also pretty much required for each member to have a different color and element, and to strike cool group poses all the time. Of course there is also an animal sidekick and chick to be the team's cheerleader. Even the unconventional 4 man Ninja Turtles had to have April O'Neal. This show really used a cookie cutter 80s formula that will give modern viewers a good look at how pretty much all childrens' action shows looked and felt at that time period. When the armors of fire, water, wind, earth, and void combine together, they summon Captain Planet! Wait! They summon the Inferno Armor! Inferno Armor is what I meant to say! One interesting thing the show did was that even the 4 "Dark Warlords" each had a virtue that they followed. This at least gave it a small bit of moral complexity and not just pure good vs. evil.

Art and sound 4/10

Ronin Warriors featured the same "finisher moves" in every episode which each had the same few minutes of animation used over and over. This meant that an average episode would be 20 minutes with 10 minutes of new footage and 10 minutes of recycled animation used in all 39 episodes. Even shows with larger budgets like Sailor Moon used LOTS of recycled animation at this period, so this was simply accepted as the norm by anime fans. Today we are far more spoiled and would never simply accept a show being this fucking lazy and cheap. The soundtrack is allright, although if you are expecting cheesy 80s songs like Top Gun or Rocky 4 than you will be sadly disappointed.

Overall: 5/10

I gave it an extra point for nostalgia and cheesyness. This isn't a good show, but it was a fun little show back in the late 1990s when I was 10 years old. I'm sure if a kid today watched it, he or she would be like..."The fuck was that shit?!" However, it still holds a special place for me as a silly bit of my childhood.