Apr 4, 2014
PokeL (All reviews)
So now that this show has come to an end, I feel like it is finally time to put my thoughts into a review to let you all know that you should watch this anime. Every singe one of you. No exceptions :)

Looking back it's kind of funny that I just started watching Nagi no Asukara because I loved their uniforms on the picture, not because I was all to interested in it. What I expected was some lighthearted, cute and simple entertainment. What I got, however, was one of the best dramas I've ever seen, which also managed to get into my favorites list about 5 episodes in and after this ending it is sure to stay there for a long time.
The first thing I noticed once I started watching was the breathtaking art in this show. The underwater scenery and the entire backgrounds look just downright stunning and even quite realistic sometimes. Definitely some of the most beautiful things I've ever seen in a TV anime.
The characters are really cute and fit the show perfectly, I especially love the way they did the eyes.
Animation was good as well.

However, NagiAsu is faaar more than just the art, which will get you into the anime. What will make you stay though is the story which starts out looking like a casual slice of life/romance show but it soon adds some great drama into the mix. The whole love drama kinda put me off at first but that changed very soon because while we still have the relationship between the characters as a focus, we soon get a very interesting storyline that will probably tear your heart into pieces at some part. And while I know that the ending was kind of unsatisfying for some people, I personally felt like it was a perfect closure for this anime as it just made sense for the characters to act the way they did.
The only thing that kind of bothered me about this show was the fact that there were some side plots that where either not necessary or not explored much further and therefore I felt like there was no need for them to be in the show (talking about Miuna and a certain person here for example). This is actually such a minor flaw that it is not able to lower my love for this show in the slightest.
What I think is amazing about NnA is that, while it is actually a show with a slow, calm atmosphere, it still manages to keep you on the edge of your seat, begging for more. For me it was pure torture waiting for the new episode week after week. So, if you do not like shows with a more calm atmosphere because it bores you, do not use this as a reason not to give this show a try. You might actually be able to enjoy it a lot more than you think.

As I already said above, the ending made sense in a way that it was really fitting the characters and here we go with another thing NagiAsu impresses. The characters. There's actually only one real thing to say about them: They feel real. The feel human. If you think about their actions for just a bit, all of them make sense, really. They all have their struggles to face, their strengthens and their weak parts, and they are delivered in a way that is just convincing. It also makes them loveable despite their flaws. Of course you will like one more than the other but I do not think that it is really possible to hate any of the characters.
Being part of the thing that makes them as convincing is their development. At the end of the show you see some of that in every one of them. They all mature in a way, but in a realistic way instead of being a totally different person from one minute to the other. For some this development happens much faster while it takes almost until the end for others. What I did not like as much here was the fact that for some of the characters this development was HORRIBLY slow as they kept taking five steps backwards sometimes which could be a bit irritating. But then again, isn't it like that in real life as well?

The sound in this show was pretty awesome as well. It did a great job putting across the atmosphere of the show. The tracks honestly made me shiver at times because of how beautiful they were and how great they were fitting the scene they were played in. OP and ED were both fine though I think the last ED is the worst track out of them, while still not being bad.
Quite a lot of the songs in NagiAsu have made or will make it into my music collection because of how much I enjoyed them.

Overall I can say that for me, Nagi no Asukara is a must see if you like drama and slice of life shows while not being too put off by some love drama as well. This is one of the best anime I have seen in a while and totally my favorite out of the fall season 2013. I can barely find a thing they did wrong here and all I wish for now after seeing the last episode is to start this show over again, watch it all in one part and then continue with the second season that does not exist because I already miss all of the characters so much.

For me this was totally a show worthy of a 10/10.

Art: 10/10 Sound: 9/10 Story: 10/10 Characters: 9/10 Enjoyment: 10/10 Overall: 10/10 :)