Mar 31, 2014
Nateal (All reviews)
There is no sequel to Chuunibyou Demo Koi Ga Shitai!
It does not exist….

Or at least that’s how it should have been. Unfortunately, KyoAni decided to make Chuunibyo Demo Koi Ga Shitai! Ren, a sequel for an anime that's one of the best of its genre.

When a sequel is created for any concluded story, it is akin to flipping a coin; It can either improve and provide a wonderful expansion to the story, or ruin the story and fall flat on its face. Sadly, the latter happened to Chuunibyou Koi Ga Shitai! Ren. The most concise reason as to why that is, is simply because it was completely unnecessary. The story of Chuunibyou was already done. Finished. Concluded. But then KyoAni had a great idea that maybe they shouldn’t end it there. And the finished result? A supposedly romantic rivalry between Rikka and Shichimiya, Yuuta’s old friend.

Well I have to admit, the thought of a love rivalry is a pretty good concept, and it could’ve honestly worked. However, the fault here lies in the fact that none of that actually happened. Instead, we were given a subpar plot which revolved around Rikka and the gang just finding the newest ways to mess around, without actually having anything to add to the plot. In fact, over half of the show was just about the cast doing their weird chuuni things and making comedy, which surprisingly isn’t as funny as it was in the first season. There was no direction to the plot, and so instead it went all over the place, ranging from beach episodes to napping contests, which basically made everything feel like filler.

And the rest of the season? Well, it was spent doing an incredibly rushed and contrived love triangle between Rikka and a new character named Shichimiya, and believe me, it wasn’t good at all in the slightest. That’s because it just… happened. Yes, there was some foreshadowing, which in this case was brought about by Yuuta’s complete insensitivity to romance. However, when the romance part did happen, it was like: Development, Climax, and Resolution, all in 4 episodes. In other words, the pacing was utter garbage. So as I said, the romance just kinda happened.

Also, another downfall of this anime is in the character development, or the lack thereof. From the start of the anime to the very end, there was very little changes in the cast, if any at all. In fact, the only noticeable change in the characters is the fact that they are now a lot more chuunibyou-ish, and all of them have started to participate in those chuunibyou battles. Other than that, there isn’t much to be said. And the new character Shichimiya? Well her sole purpose in this anime is to provide a rival for Rikka to compete against and to add another chuunibyou character. But as with the rest of the cast, she is just a dull character, and even moreso than the rest of the them due to not being in the prior season.

So pretty much the only good thing I can say about Chuu-2 Ren is that its animation was amazing. KyoAni may not be the best when it comes to storytelling or plot writing, but they sure are the best when it comes to animating stuff, as it has been proven time and time again. The animation for Chuu-2 Ren was smooth, clean, and very modern. There were no flaws or stutters as far as I can tell, and the fight scenes were just jaw-dropping. But then again, this is KyoAni we’re talking about, the same people who can animate water and make it look gorgeous beyond words.

Other than that, there’s also the music. The opening of Chuu-2 Ren, VOICE by ZAQ and its ending, Van!shment th!s World by Black Raison d'être are both very energetic J-pop songs. They are very much fitting with the theme of the anime, and are both quite catchy.

So, did I enjoy Chuunibyou Koi Ga Shitai! Ren? No, not at all. It’s an anime that lives off the popularity of its prequel. A horrible continuation of what could’ve been a good ending. That’s why I cannot give this anime a score higher than I did. It’s not as funny and doesn’t have the same romance its prequel had, nor does it provide a good continuation for Chuunibyou, and is overall a bad anime.

So, does Chuunibyou Demo Koi Ga Shitai! have a sequel?
Unfortunately it does, however I deny its existence.

~First and foremost, thanks for reading my review. If you have any comments regarding my review or just want to have a discussion, then leave a comment at my page. I will greatly appreciate it. =)~