Mar 28, 2014
Satire (All reviews)
I think most of the anime watching community has learned to generally expect two things from KyoAni:

1. There will be moe
2. The story and plot will either be subpar or shit.

I want to say that it's nice Chuunibyou demo Koi ga Shitai! got a second season, I really do. The first season of Chuunibyou was decent; it had a little bit of eight-grade syndrome, a little bit of romance, obligatory KyoAni moe, and a bit of slice of life. Characters actually felt like they made progress and it was a fairly enjoyable watch overall. I can't say the same about the second season.

I'd like to discuss the story, but I'm afraid there is really nothing to talk about. There is no story. There is no plot. Asking for either of these from this sequel is like asking a rock to win a race, and no, this isn't Spongebob. I made a mistake by hoping there would be some kind of turn around and something interesting might happen during the second season, like the ending of the first season. The so called 'romance' between Yuuta and Rikka, which was the whole driving force behind this sequel, is severely lacking. Yuuta seems more like Rikka's father than boyfriend and that's just pathetic. The attempt at a love triangle is not only badly paced, but also feels extremely forced. Basically, if you watched this sequel, or plan to, you most likely didn't come for the story. At least, I sure hope not.

Assuming you've seen the first season of Chuunibyou, you have a general handle of what the characters are like. There's not much change other than the introduction of Shichimiya, Yuuta's old chuuni buddy. The character development is stagnant and most of the series is about Rikka getting romantically flustered. But hey, remember that one character Ishikki? Yuuta's friend, the bro-tier dude of season one? Yes, the guy who gets his head shaved. Guess what? The series takes a massive diarrhea dump on him. The sequel throws him in at random times and tries to garner some cheap laughs at the expense of his already unfortunate life. I couldn't even laugh at instances aimed to be funny gag moments. If I felt anything, it was sadness and pity.

The only saving grace that Chuunibyou Ren! has is that I find KyoAni's animations to be good. The art and animation are consistent and I believe that's one thing that the studio does right. Sound is decent, but I didn't find the OP or ED to be anything noteworthy.

Sequels for anime can be a blessing when done correctly. Sequels can also tarnish whatever good the first season had accomplished. The latter is what happened here. There's nothing more frustrating to watch the second season of an anime only to be disappointed by the steep drop in quality. This sequel felt like KyoAni put little to no effort into it besides giving the audience the finger while trying to reach into your wallet. Unless you have time to waste, and I mean a lot of fucking time, I'd say watch something other than this.