Mar 24, 2014
An anime where the villains are more entertaining to watch than the main cast, Witch Craft Works takes pages from Pokemon and does it better than Team Rocket.

Story: 7
In a world with two warring witch guilds, the Workshop Witches and the more evil Tower Witches, our main hero is to be protected by a very strong Workshop Witch. The typical story of a powerless protagonist to become a strong hero is overdone and things that happen throughout this story are standard to the plot of a rising hero. There are parts where I was confused on contracts and such, but this comes more from my dislike of reading contracts and how a contract could contradict another contract or how establishing a contract can make one null and void. Reasons why I never will be a lawyer.

Though I have said that the plot is of a typical rising hero, this common story help set a pacing that was perfect. The rising hero storyline follows a rollercoaster of pacing, where it starts off slow and precedes to pick up as the main character learns new skills and eventually takes on the main antagonist. One reason why this type of storyline is slow at the start is because of the pure focus on the main character, going from a weakling to a stronger hero, the pacing reflects that. Witch Craft Works throws a wrench into that focus on the main hero as his teacher who is strong from the start helps with battles and fighting. There are training scenes combined with scenes involving the teacher fighting that create a smooth pacing throughout the series.

Art: 8
The art in this anime was either super amazing or just super choppy. Amazing parts include the animation of art and flying, the character designs as well as the designs for the minions and all the details put into the city. Some choppy parts included a choppy 3D animation at the end, some fighting scenes, especially between minions, looked awkward as well as some explosions appeared to have missing frames. The proportions for Kagari looks weird as well.. I mean anime with big-boobed characters look normal compared to Kagari... There is somethign about the way she is drawn that doesn't look quite right.

The best thing about the art was the use of color. Monochrome art is something that isn't seen too often but Witch Craft Works uses it exceedingly well. Certain scenes just blew me away with all the hues and shades used of a color.

Sound: 9
The OP, "divine intervention" was a decent OP that reflected the fantasy aspect of a mages world. The way it did this was through playing "happy" notes on a synthpad. The combination of happiness and a synth helps give the idea that this is an anime that isn't a dark witch anime, but rather a bright sided one. The ED is by far my favorite thing of this anime. Witch Activity is super catchy, fast-paced song that sums up everything that the these villains are, evil, but not truly evil. The ED itself awarded this score of a 9, it's just something about the song that makes me play it on replay.

The background music was lacking. It did not ave enough impact for it to be memorable and never really helped carry a mood.

Character: 9
The characters that made this anime were the 5 Tower Witches you get introduced to in the first and second episode. They are very similar to the Team Rocket trio in where they appear villainous only to become comedic jokes throughout the series. The only difference is that there Tower Witches are more entertaining to watch than the Rocket trio. The Witches are serious at parts so they have to be taken seriously at times, unlike the Rocket trio where they aren't taken seriously after episode 1.

Character development... was lacking for the main characters. The main character didn't really develop a new way of thinking but rather just gained information about the new world while Kagari didn't develop much besides giving more freedom to Takamiya.

Enjoyment: 8
With a story that is quite generic, I was surprised that I enjoyed this anime. Most of my enjoyment came from scenes involving the Tower Witches but the main characters were also quite interesting to watch.

Overall: 8
Witch Craft Works was an anime that surprised me as I thought it would be quite a dark show. I was assuming that it would involve mages killing mages constantly trying to protect the important things. Though this is right, it was nowhere near as dark as I imagined it and I was glad to give this anime a shot.
Reviewer’s Rating: 8
What did you think of this review?
Nice Nice0