Nov 23, 2013
Ren-chan (All reviews)
Mahou Shoujo Madoka★Magica (or Puella Magi Madoka Magica as it is called in English) was a great story from beginning to end. Having watched the anime first, I knew what to expect when reading the manga, but as it goes with these things, reading different interpretations of the same source material never ceases to amaze me. I believe I look for the subtle differences between interpretations.

Anyway, onto the review.

Magical girls fight witches. A cat-like creature named Kyubey grants their wishes and they become magical girls. Without spoiling anything, that is the basic review. There are twists and turns, and if you expect this to be your typical magical girl manga, it's not. It stands far apart from the normal, from the mundane, from the happy-go-lucky-save-the-world-with-the-power-of-friendship motif that is present in most magical girl stories. It looks happy? Yes, it does, but within the pages is a darker side of the story. I would warmly refer to the illustrations on the covers as very effective camouflage.

STORY 9/10 - as I mentioned above, without giving anything away, this story had me hooked.
ART 9/10 - Beautiful art by Hanokage, I was utterly impressed. In fact, I prefer this art over that of the TV series. The creepy designs of the witches......I can't get enough, I love it.
CHARACTERS - utterly brilliant characters.
ENJOYMENT - an awesome ride from beginning to end.

So overall this manga gets a 9/10. Read this as soon as possible, you will not be disappointed.