Jun 26, 2013
Hamelin (All reviews)
"Love Live! School Idol Project", I have never fully watched any idol series before, so this one was my first, and I ended up enjoying it a lot. I've tried to watch IdolM@ster when it first aired, but I just couldn't get into it. I watched Love Live after it was finished airing. I honestly don't know why I decided to watch Love Live, but I'm so glad I did.

Story
There was a clear story, which was good. School is gonna get shut down if they don't get enough students, Honoka (main character) decides to become school idols to stop the school from closing. The story was simple, and I didn't have any problems with the pacing. Throughout the show, they include showing what the characters need to endure to become idols which include stamina, vocal, and dance training. I thought that this was a nice toutch to include and helped with character development quite well

Art/Animation
I liked the overall art style, which fit the mood of this series, it was bright and colorful. But the one thing that I didn't like was the CG's. Luckily, they were only used during the insert songs and in the opening. They didn't use CG's for the whole song either, it switched between several times, sometimes, the CG wasn't too noticeable, which is why I didn't mind it too much. The animation looked smooth and was very well executed. No complaints about animation. I loved the choreography during the songs, sometimes, I had to rewatch one of the performances twice. Once to focus on the song, and another to look at the choreography.

Sound/Music
Being an idol anime, I guess I kinda expected good music. I am glad to say that I was not disappointed. All of the songs were catchy, memorable and fit the situation very well. Even the background music stood out to me (in a good way). It always fit with the events that happened and set the tone of whats gonna happen. The opening song was amazing, I never skipped it, not a single time. The ending song was the same, never wanted to skip it.

Characters
Each character had a very different personality and were all likeable in their own way. There weren't any characters that I hated. I found that I could summarize the personalities of the characters in just a few words, which isn't necessarily bad. The characters had a very human like mindset in my opinion, which enhanced the drama scenes in the show.

Conclusion
I really liked this anime and am glad that I gave it a go. I have never fully watched an idol anime before this one. When I was watching, I was completely immersed in the show. I never felt bored or wanted to skip over a scene during the show. The music was amazing, I cannot stress that enough. If you haven't watched this, I highly recommend that you give it a shot.