Back to cureglitter's Profile cureglitter's Profile

Dec 26, 2021
As someone who actually likes kawaii idol and magical girl series, I have to say: this has to be the worst Pripara entry so far.

STORY: 5/10

Look, they tried to be original with the whole "magic world meets human idols" but it's so badly thought out it becomes practically irrelevant and boils out to being an average, uninteresting, stereotypical simple idol competition series. The magic is, at best, a funny gag and at worst, a reason to hate the characters.

CHARACTER: 6

Once again, their initial attempts to make unique characters just completely fizzled off by the time they were all introduced. It's been bland flatness read more
Nov 2, 2021
Could this series be the next RWBY? Probably not, but it's certainly trying to be.

From the ombre bob cut to the sub-par CGI and questionable character designs, paired with surprisingly well choreographed action scenes, some nicely spicy dialog - mixed with utter cheesefest - and a good helping of a very original and genuinely fun universe.

Unfortunately, unlike RWBY, there's too few moments of joy, and the series takes itself far too seriously conscidering how evidently tiny the budget was. The few attempts at comedy range from nose-snortingly okay to having bafflingly awful timing, not helped by the switch to 2d that's clearly an attempt to read more
Nov 2, 2021
If you're looking for a disney princess story written by someone who doesn't actually spend any time with women, then this is the story for you.

STORY: 4

Between the wacked out geography - how, exactly, does a ninja family shipwreck in Europe? - the weird history twisting that adds nothing whatsoever other than to remind us that Japanese content has a love affair with Joan of Arc, this series just feels like they threw tropes at a wall and caught the one that fell.

ART: 9

Honestly, the art ranges from gorgeous to glorious and the character designs are a cool mesh of true historic costuming and steampunk read more
Aug 27, 2021
Aikatsu Planet is, quite frankly, the perfect example of why most anime just do not work in a live action format.

STORY: 5/10

Look, they tried. Barely, but they did. This season does feature a mild mystery but, like AiParade before it, fails to actually make it matter or be at all interesting.

The new Aikatsu system is initially intriguing and fun, but is so underused it's easy to forget that anything has actually changed. Honestly, it feels like a half-hearted rip of early Pripara at times.

Overall, it feels like a cut-and-paste idol with none of the charm the animated series had, most of which was due read more
Aug 11, 2021
Look, I wanted a cute anime girl series with a ridiculous premise. And I got it. But that's basically a summary of everything remotely good about this anime.

STORY: 4

Take one look at my profile and you'll know I love a good episodic, minion-of-the -day magical girl. But they have to have some motivation, some reason for existence, outside of just wanting to be evil. And this series delivers absolutely nothing of interest on that end.

I also love a good wacky premise, and while the idea of removing anything remotely Otaku related from the memories of people in various universes, the universes themselves do little to read more
Jun 27, 2021
Look, if you check my profile, you'll know I'm a sucker for Pretty Cure and all thing magical girl. But we're past half way, and I've found myself completely uninterested in continuing to watch it - which hasn't occurred since the travesty that was Happiness Charge.

STORY: 6

Precure rarely has much of an overarching story - instead, it typically relies on a few narrative goals, surrounded by character arcs, to drive itself along. Tropical Rouge is no different, except for the part where it lacks both goals and growth.

None of the characters' grow much, apart from the one that makes me want to bash my head read more
May 15, 2021
I'm not sure what this anime is supposed to be, in all honesty

STORY: 5/10

Look, there isn't an overarching story here, besides the vague "reincarnated overworker chills out but like, as a witch". It isn't meant to have a mystery or a deep dark dilemma, and a a slice of life addict I can appreciate a slower pace, but there's literally nothing tying the episodes together besides the recurring cast.

It repeatedly attempts to be a harem, only to find itself floundering with a disinterested lead and a weirdly aged cast making the implications seem weirder than they could have been. The show just read more
Apr 18, 2021
Sigh. When trying to create an alternative idol series, it's important to put idols at the centre - and this series fails to do that. Repeatedly.

STORY: 5

This story has, essentially, multiple "major" plots with little to join them and even less to make you care.

The main character wants to act, not sing, so there's really no incentive to want her to succeed as an idol. It feels more like a means to an end, rather than her actual goal, which made me uninterested in what should have been the main plotline.

The secondary main plot is a sci-fi lovers' ... nightmare? Honestly, it's so ill-thought read more
Apr 17, 2021
This series is a solid, all-round 7 of a show if there ever was one.

It's important to note that this is China's take on the magical girl genre and is often (mistakenly) given the label as a Precure rip-off. Now, I'll link a post explaining why that's not the case at the end, but for now, just take my word for it.

STORY: 7

This series carries on the wummer after the live-action debut season ends. The waht now? You're thinking. But don't worry, you absolutely DO NOT need to watch that one (in fact, in canon, it's series 0, with this one being series 1, read more
Mar 30, 2021

STORY: 7

The story is a bit inconsistent, and not very well paced, but you don't really expect much of either from Chinese magical girls, which are usually aimed at the 6-to-10 crowd.

In saying that, they still put a surprising amount of thought into it, with a few twisted characters and unexpected reveals and, in true Balala fashion, do a great job of meshing the fun, single-episode arcs with the overarching semi-serious main plot.

It's nowhere near as dark or serious as Precure gets, but given the well-timed comedy moments and genuinely adorable rescues, it really doesn't need to be.

CHARACTER: 8

As always, I love read more