Back to Critically_Red's Profile Critically_Red's Profile

Mar 16, 2019
The art style is beautiful. The action is fluid and fast paced. It's just all around fun to watch. Good popcorn action.

But for me a lot of it was way over the top. It acts like a b-movie at times despite its top notch animation and art direction. This could appeal to some people I'm sure, but could be a huge distraction for others. With something like Samurai Champloo - even though the action is over the top - one can still see all the physics going on in combat and make sense of what they're looking at. But Afro Samurai just throws out all read more
Dec 10, 2018
This review will be very brief, but nonetheless it needs to be broke down in to two parts. I won't go in to detail about the plot, but instead just speak in very general terms about the quality of the show.

Episodes 1 - 6:

You might like it. You might not. Personally, I loved it. Just read the MAL description of the plot, and that's basically all you need to know. It almost presents itself as a gory twist on the typical shonen genre. Adolescents with supernatural powers duke it out in an arena. WHO WOULD HAVE THOUGHT!? But it's executed well. The action is read more
Dec 8, 2018
Well, it's bad. But it didn't have to be.

The first few episodes are pretty decent. It sets up an interesting premise, shows off some above average action sequences, and presents the characters as sympathetic and likeable. No worse that a 6/10 through that point.

Soon after that, it devolves rapidly in to a turbulent sea of obnoxious fan service and cliches. Characters are introduced, nothing is done with them, they die, and then we're expected to feel sympathy. Even if you find fan service to be a selling point for a show, this would still fail to provide anything of substance for you.

The read more
Dec 8, 2018
There's so little to say about this show, and yet so much.

Understand that while this show's humor is very off the wall at times, it knows what it is trying to be and it does it very well. Some have accused it of not conforming to the typical moe formula, but that is a good thing. It feels new.

I should add that this isn't just a cutesy anime for the sake of being a cutesy anime. It doesn't really conform to any kawaii culture tropes. No doubt it's incredibly adorable, but it's also supported by a GENUINE sense of humor.
Dec 8, 2018
I don't know if people are still reading reviews on this show or not. And I know reviews can seem to go on and on sometimes, so I'll be as brief as I can here.

The Big O is a very eclectic experience. It's as moody as it is humorous. It's as atmospheric as it is fast paced. And it's as lighthearted as it is existential. It follows a formula similar to a saturday morning cartoon, where the hero is usually pressed in to a corner, and at the last minute pulls out the big guns and saves the day. But it works so well read more