Anime & Manga News

Japan's Monthly Manga and Light Novel Rankings for October

by Snow
Nov 9, 2016 5:22 PM | 18 Comments
Here are the monthly manga and light novel rankings for October (September 26 - October 30)

Rank / Monthly sales by copies / Titles

Manga
*1. 727,520 Haikyuu!! Vol.23
*2. 600,268 3-gatsu no Lion Vol.12
*3. 550,539 Kingdom Vol.44
*4. 427,489 Nanatsu no Taizai Vol.23
*5. 388,732 Natsume Yuujinchou Vol.21
*6. 334,294 Kimi ni Todoke Vol.27
*7. 308,184 Chihayafuru Vol.33
*8. 285,956 Ajin Vol.9
*9. 277,014 Saint☆Onii-san Vol.13
10. 244,712 Nisekoi Vol.25

11. 240,651 Diamond no Ace Act II Vol.5
12. 224,257 xxxHOLiC: Rei Vol.4
13. 208,109 Toriko Vol.41
14. 207,397 Ore Monogatari! Vol.13
15. 192,751 Kinou Nani Tabeta? Vol.12
16. 185,747 Uchuu Kyoudai Vol.29
17. 178,323 Bungou Stray Dogs Vol.11
18. 174,974 Giant Killing Vol.42
19. 168,863 Omoi, Omoware, Furi, Furare Vol.4
20. 168,781 Tokyo Ghoul:re Vol.8


Light Novels
*1. 311,318 Kimi no Na wa. (Kadokawa Bunko)
*2. 135,545 Kimi no Na wa. Another Side: Earthbound
*3. 114,956 Overlord Vol.11
*4. *82,518 Kimi no Na wa. (Kadokawa Tsubasa Bunko)
*5. *80,939 Dungeon ni Deai wo Motomeru no wa Machigatteiru Darou ka Vol.11
*6. *64,104 Haikyuu!! Shousetsu-ban!! Vol.7
*7. *57,402 Kaizoku to Joou no Kouchuuki: Kaizokuou to Akazu no "Mon"
*8. *50,473 Natsume no Yuujinchou: Tamayura no Ie
*9. *50,196 Kokuhaku Yokou Renshuu: Kinyoubi no Ohayou
10. *48,507 Re:Zero kara Hajimeru Isekai Seikatsu Vol.10

11. *48,232 Kino no Tabi: The Beautiful World Vol.20
12. *47,671 Bungou Stray Dogs "55 Minutes"
13. *40,185 Re:Zero kara Hajimeru Isekai Seikatsu Vol.9
14. *35,721 Kotonoha no Niwa
15. *34,502 Isekai Shokudou Vol.3
16. *30,626 Byousoku 5 Centimeter (Kadokawa Bunko)
17. *29,286 Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei Vol.20
18. *27,616 Overlord Vol.11 Limited Edition
19. *27,143 Netgame no Yome wa Onna no Ko ja Nai to Omotta? Vol.12
20. *22,505 Kono Subarashii Sekai ni Shukufuku wo! Vol.10

Source: Oricon Youtaijou

← Previous Month

18 Comments Recent Comments

moodie said:
hpulley said:
Depends on the purpose of the anime. If it was just meant to increase readership of the manga then this is mission accomplished and season 2's rarely increase readership much further after a season 1 bump. But if the disc sales are also good (which doesn't look likely) then it might be worth making more anime just for the sake of the disc sales. But sometimes publishers like to complete the story too especially if they use it to advertise a live action adaptation which is common these days. In reality, only the members of the production committee know if they want to make another season of anime based upon the success of the first one. We'll just have to wait and hope for a greenlight announcement.
It's NHK and the source sold well. Add Shafts history with sequels and you basically got a very positive outlook for a sequel.

Not saying its 100% but based on trends with NHK I can bet my account on it that we will see a sequel.
Not my week, I totally forgot it was NHK. NHK doesn't care about sales at all. Along with all else I think you're right and this is a slam dunk.

Sadly that probably means no Owarimonogatari S2 for a while with them busy on Kizu III and 3gatsu.

Nov 11, 2016 8:25 AM by hpulley

hpulley said:
yuliyana29 said:
So, does it mean there is a chance they'd do season 2 for Sangatsu?
Depends on the purpose of the anime. If it was just meant to increase readership of the manga then this is mission accomplished and season 2's rarely increase readership much further after a season 1 bump. But if the disc sales are also good (which doesn't look likely) then it might be worth making more anime just for the sake of the disc sales. But sometimes publishers like to complete the story too especially if they use it to advertise a live action adaptation which is common these days. In reality, only the members of the production committee know if they want to make another season of anime based upon the success of the first one. We'll just have to wait and hope for a greenlight announcement.
It's NHK and the source sold well. Add Shafts history with sequels and you basically got a very positive outlook for a sequel.

Not saying its 100% but based on trends with NHK I can bet my account on it that we will see a sequel.

Nov 11, 2016 7:58 AM by moodie

yuliyana29 said:
So, does it mean there is a chance they'd do season 2 for Sangatsu?
Depends on the purpose of the anime. If it was just meant to increase readership of the manga then this is mission accomplished and season 2's rarely increase readership much further after a season 1 bump. But if the disc sales are also good (which doesn't look likely) then it might be worth making more anime just for the sake of the disc sales. But sometimes publishers like to complete the story too especially if they use it to advertise a live action adaptation which is common these days. In reality, only the members of the production committee know if they want to make another season of anime based upon the success of the first one. We'll just have to wait and hope for a greenlight announcement.

Nov 11, 2016 7:01 AM by hpulley

So, does it mean there is a chance they'd do season 2 for Sangatsu?

Nov 11, 2016 6:48 AM by youthful

Awesome month for shoujo manga with Chihayafuru, Natsume Yuujinchou, Kimi ni Todoke, OmoiFuri and Ore Monogatari taking positions on the rankings. Also, seeing 3gatsu and Haikyuu doing well makes me a happy man.

Nov 10, 2016 10:13 PM by UglyBarnacle

chrisbj said:
hpulley said:
Monthly series (i.e. total sales of all volumes of a series) from Oricon

Manga monthly series top 20

Seems like a much bigger anime bump for 3gatsu no Lion than, not surprisingly after 3 seasons, Haikyuu!!

*1 1,021,833 3gatsu no Lion
*2 *,872,588 Haikyuu!!
*3 *,776,507 Kingdom
*4 *,574,913 Nanatsu no Taizai
*5 *,472,249 Koe no Katachi
*6 *,433,519 Natsume Yuujinchou
*7 *,353,749 Kimi ni Todoke
*8 *,352,762 Chihayafuru
*9 *,333,826 Ajin
10 *,313,129 Diamond no Ace act II
11 *,306,436 DAYS
12 *,303,053 Saint Oniisan
13 *,284,364 Nisekoi
14 *,284,292 Bungou Stray Dogs
15 *,252,296 Tokyo Ghoul:re
16 *,243,923 xxxHOLiC: rei
17 *,227,757 Toriko
18 *,223,902 Oremonogatari!!
19 *,220,942 Black Clover
20 *,216,976 Nigeru wa Haji daga Yaku ni Tatsu

Light novels monthly series top 20 from Oricon

*1 393,836 Shousetsu Kimi no Na Wa.
*2 177,318 Overlord
*3 164,893 Re: Zero kara Hajimeru Sekai Seikatsu
*4 135,545 Kimi no Na Wa. ANOTHER SIDE:EARTHBOUND
*5 108,032 Dungeon ni Deai wo Motomeru no wa Machigatte iru darou ka
*6 *74,896 Bungou Stray Dogs
*7 *69,390 Haikyuu!! Shousetsuban!!
*8 *60,613 Kokuhaku Yokou Renshuu
*9 *59,087 Kono Subarashii Sekai ni Shukufuku wo!
10 *57,402 Papiyon Rouge to Arashi no Hoshi
11 *56,579 Sword Art Online
12 *52,968 Natsume Yuujinchou Novelization
13 *48,878 Kino no Tabi - the Beautiful World-
14 *41,384 Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei
15 *38,746 Isekai Shokudou
16 *35,721 Koto no Ha no Niwa Novelization
17 *34,758 No Game No Life
18 *30,626 Byosoku 5cm Novelization
19 *29,527 Rokudenashi Majutsu Koushi to Akashic Records
20 *27,689 Netoge no Yome wa Onna no Ko Janai to Omotta?


Why is Index suddenly getting a boost in sales.....
It didn't... massive brainfart on my part translating in my head, for some reason I thought I saw toaru... but that's not Index, that's Mahouka... not sure how I saw that! I swear I thought I saw toaru... but was just my imagination. Thanks for the correction. About to fix in my post...

Nov 10, 2016 4:35 PM by hpulley

hpulley said:
Monthly series (i.e. total sales of all volumes of a series) from Oricon

Manga monthly series top 20

Seems like a much bigger anime bump for 3gatsu no Lion than, not surprisingly after 3 seasons, Haikyuu!!

*1 1,021,833 3gatsu no Lion
*2 *,872,588 Haikyuu!!
*3 *,776,507 Kingdom
*4 *,574,913 Nanatsu no Taizai
*5 *,472,249 Koe no Katachi
*6 *,433,519 Natsume Yuujinchou
*7 *,353,749 Kimi ni Todoke
*8 *,352,762 Chihayafuru
*9 *,333,826 Ajin
10 *,313,129 Diamond no Ace act II
11 *,306,436 DAYS
12 *,303,053 Saint Oniisan
13 *,284,364 Nisekoi
14 *,284,292 Bungou Stray Dogs
15 *,252,296 Tokyo Ghoul:re
16 *,243,923 xxxHOLiC: rei
17 *,227,757 Toriko
18 *,223,902 Oremonogatari!!
19 *,220,942 Black Clover
20 *,216,976 Nigeru wa Haji daga Yaku ni Tatsu

Light novels monthly series top 20 from Oricon

*1 393,836 Shousetsu Kimi no Na Wa.
*2 177,318 Overlord
*3 164,893 Re: Zero kara Hajimeru Sekai Seikatsu
*4 135,545 Kimi no Na Wa. ANOTHER SIDE:EARTHBOUND
*5 108,032 Dungeon ni Deai wo Motomeru no wa Machigatte iru darou ka
*6 *74,896 Bungou Stray Dogs
*7 *69,390 Haikyuu!! Shousetsuban!!
*8 *60,613 Kokuhaku Yokou Renshuu
*9 *59,087 Kono Subarashii Sekai ni Shukufuku wo!
10 *57,402 Papiyon Rouge to Arashi no Hoshi
11 *56,579 Sword Art Online
12 *52,968 Natsume Yuujinchou Novelization
13 *48,878 Kino no Tabi - the Beautiful World-
14 *41,384 Toaru Majutsu no Index
15 *38,746 Isekai Shokudou
16 *35,721 Koto no Ha no Niwa Novelization
17 *34,758 No Game No Life
18 *30,626 Byosoku 5cm Novelization
19 *29,527 Rokudenashi Majutsu Koushi to Akashic Records
20 *27,689 Netoge no Yome wa Onna no Ko Janai to Omotta?


Why is Index suddenly getting a boost in sales.....

Nov 10, 2016 4:26 PM by chrisbj

Monthly series (i.e. total sales of all volumes of a series) from Oricon

Manga monthly series top 20

Seems like a much bigger anime bump for 3gatsu no Lion than, not surprisingly after 3 seasons, Haikyuu!!

*1 1,021,833 3gatsu no Lion
*2 *,872,588 Haikyuu!!
*3 *,776,507 Kingdom
*4 *,574,913 Nanatsu no Taizai
*5 *,472,249 Koe no Katachi
*6 *,433,519 Natsume Yuujinchou
*7 *,353,749 Kimi ni Todoke
*8 *,352,762 Chihayafuru
*9 *,333,826 Ajin
10 *,313,129 Diamond no Ace act II
11 *,306,436 DAYS
12 *,303,053 Saint Oniisan
13 *,284,364 Nisekoi
14 *,284,292 Bungou Stray Dogs
15 *,252,296 Tokyo Ghoul:re
16 *,243,923 xxxHOLiC: rei
17 *,227,757 Toriko
18 *,223,902 Oremonogatari!!
19 *,220,942 Black Clover
20 *,216,976 Nigeru wa Haji daga Yaku ni Tatsu

Light novels monthly series top 20 from Oricon

*1 393,836 Shousetsu Kimi no Na Wa.
*2 177,318 Overlord
*3 164,893 Re: Zero kara Hajimeru Sekai Seikatsu
*4 135,545 Kimi no Na Wa. ANOTHER SIDE:EARTHBOUND
*5 108,032 Dungeon ni Deai wo Motomeru no wa Machigatte iru darou ka
*6 *74,896 Bungou Stray Dogs
*7 *69,390 Haikyuu!! Shousetsuban!!
*8 *60,613 Kokuhaku Yokou Renshuu
*9 *59,087 Kono Subarashii Sekai ni Shukufuku wo!
10 *57,402 Papiyon Rouge to Arashi no Hoshi
11 *56,579 Sword Art Online
12 *52,968 Natsume Yuujinchou Novelization
13 *48,878 Kino no Tabi - the Beautiful World-
14 *41,384 Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei
15 *38,746 Isekai Shokudou
16 *35,721 Koto no Ha no Niwa Novelization
17 *34,758 No Game No Life
18 *30,626 Byosoku 5cm Novelization
19 *29,527 Rokudenashi Majutsu Koushi to Akashic Records
20 *27,689 Netoge no Yome wa Onna no Ko Janai to Omotta?

Nov 10, 2016 11:35 AM by hpulley

kuuderes_shadow said:
RobertBobert said:


Thank you. Well, what in general, sales Mahouka better than ReZero, I know, but it seemed to me that the last volume Mahouka has a little lost interest


It has - just 163k at the end of the second month rather than 191k. Volume 19 got a lot of its sales right at the start, though, and vol 20 had a considerably bigger second month than vol 19 did, so it will probably balance out somewhat. Though we won't get to see that.


I'm just tired already waiting for the final arc, especially after the plot twist in the 16th volume. But since then, is the already second arc goes, and the end title still not visible.

Nov 10, 2016 11:26 AM by RobertBobert

RobertBobert said:
kuuderes_shadow said:


A Re:Zero volume that came out on 23rd September and another that came out on 22nd October(ish) sold more between 26th Sept and 30th Oct than a Mahouka volume that came out on 10th September did, yes. In total said Mahouka volume has sold considerably more than both those re:Zero volumes put together.


Thank you. Well, what in general, sales Mahouka better than ReZero, I know, but it seemed to me that the last volume Mahouka has a little lost interest


It has - just 163k at the end of the second month rather than 191k. Volume 19 got a lot of its sales right at the start, though, and vol 20 had a considerably bigger second month than vol 19 did, so it will probably balance out somewhat. Though we won't get to see that.

Nov 10, 2016 10:52 AM by kuuderes_shadow

kuuderes_shadow said:
RobertBobert said:
I confuse something, or the last two volumes of ReZero has sold better than Mahouka?


A Re:Zero volume that came out on 23rd September and another that came out on 22nd October(ish) sold more between 26th Sept and 30th Oct than a Mahouka volume that came out on 10th September did, yes. In total said Mahouka volume has sold considerably more than both those re:Zero volumes put together.


Thank you. Well, what in general, sales Mahouka better than ReZero, I know, but it seemed to me that the last volume Mahouka has a little lost interest

Nov 10, 2016 10:37 AM by RobertBobert

RobertBobert said:
I confuse something, or the last two volumes of ReZero has sold better than Mahouka?


A Re:Zero volume that came out on 23rd September and another that came out on 22nd October(ish) sold more between 26th Sept and 30th Oct than a Mahouka volume that came out on 10th September did, yes. In total said Mahouka volume has sold considerably more than both those re:Zero volumes put together.

Nov 10, 2016 10:27 AM by kuuderes_shadow

I confuse something, or the last two volumes of ReZero has sold better than Mahouka?

Nov 10, 2016 9:53 AM by RobertBobert

Great stuff, the LE barely moved, it sold out :O
*3. 114,956 Overlord Vol.11
18. *27,616 Overlord Vol.11 Limited Edition

Nov 10, 2016 6:51 AM by ichii_1

Haikyuu and 3 gatsu in front only cause of the ongoing hype.

When that dies out YOU KNOW Kingdom will be left there to rule.

Nov 10, 2016 4:18 AM by Ramkec

*3. 550,539 Kingdom Vol.44
I so wanna start reading this, but not yet...

Nov 9, 2016 11:35 PM by joe_g7

lady-leen said:


17. 178,323 Bungou Stray Dogs Vol.11

BSG deserve more <33



Agreed . The 3 way war arc was a huge step up for Asagiri (the writer) in BSD , and the next arc is looking good for now.
I'm also interested in the side story light novel "55 minutes" cause the "Dazai and the dark era" LN was a perfect backstory for Dazai. Glad they adapted it .

Nov 9, 2016 11:01 PM by Takao_21

12. 224,257 xxxHOLiC: Rei Vol.4

ppl still remember this....
since I feel CLAMP is no more popular LOL

17. 178,323 Bungou Stray Dogs Vol.11

BSG deserve more <33

Nov 9, 2016 10:48 PM by lady-leen