Anime & Manga News

Japan's Weekly Blu-ray & CD Rankings for Dec 17 - 23

by dtshyk
Dec 25, 2012 12:35 AM | 128 Comments
Here are the weekly Blu-ray & CD rankings for December 17th - 23rd.

Blu-ray
*1, 15,684 15,684 Kyoukaisenjou no Horizon II vol.4 Limited Edition
*2, 14,291 14,291 Cowboy Bebop Blu-ray Box
*3, 13,550 13,550 Girls und Panzer vol.1
*4, 12,573 12,573 Chuunibyou demo Koi ga Shitai! vol.1
*5, 10,348 10,348 Mobile Suit Gundam Seed Remaster Blu-ray Box vol.4
*6, *8,536 *8,536 Tiger & Bunny Special Esition Side Bunny Limited Edition
*7, *8,286 *8,286 To LOVE-Ru Darkness vol.1 Limited Edition
*8, *7,919 *7,919 Kuroko no Basket vol.6
*9, *5,141 *5,141 Yuru Yuri♪♪ vol.4

DVD
*1, 28,166 *,*28,166 Kuroko no Basket Fan Disc
*2, 15,175 *,*15,175 One Piece Log Collection "OHZ"
*3, 15,108 *,*15,108 One Piece Log Collection "Brook"
*4, 10,197 *,*10,197 Gintama' Enchousen vol.1 Limited Edition
*5, *8,805 *,**8,805 Kuroko no Basket vol.6
*6, *5,199 *,**5,199 Pokemon Best Wishes! Season 2: Kyurem vs. Seikenshi
*7, *3,286 *,**3,286 Tiger & Bunny Special Edition Side Bunny Limited Edition
*9, *2,903 *,**2,903 New Prince of Tennis vol.5
10, *2,883 *,**2,883 Beast Wars Second Chou Seimeitai Transformers DVD Box Set
11, *2,773 *,**2,773 Saint Seiya DVD Box vol.2
12, *2,428 *,**2,428 Hakuouki Reimeiroku vol.4 Limited Edition
13, *2,252 1,172,060 Tonari no Totoro
14, *2,142 *,**2,142 Hanayaka Nari, Waga Ichizoku: Kinetograph vol.1 Limited Edition
16, *1,928 *,**1,928 To LOVE-Ru Darkness vol.1 Limited Edition
17, *1,885 *,**1,885 Chuunibyou demo Koi ga Shitai! vol.1
18, *1,755 *,**1,755 Bleach Shinigami Daiko Shoshitsu Hen vol.5
22, *1,407 *,**5,112 Sore Ike! Anpanman
27, *1,197 *,494,800 Majo no Takkyuubin
28, *1,183 *,**1,183 Psycho-Pass vol.1

Single CD
*1, 232,961 232,961 Magi "Yubi Boenkyo"
10, **9,812 **9,812 Toyosaki Aki "Orion to Spangle"
11, **8,903 **8,903 Nerawareta Gakuen "Gin-iro Hikosen"
21, **3,626 **3,626 Wooser no Sono Higurashi "Love Me Gimme"
27, **3,093 **3,093 Ao no Exorcist Character Song Rin & Yukio
29, **2,913 *30,921 Psycho-Pass "Namae no Nai Kaibutsu"
32, **2,328 **2,328 Ono Daisuke & Kondo Takayuki "VS/ Sweet nest"
33, **1,930 *25,997 JoJo's Bizarre Adventure "Jojo~Sono Chi no Unmei~"
34, **1,843 *41,597 Sword Art Online "Innocence"
38, **1,727 *27,731 Sword Art Online "Overfly"
41, **1,604 *47,979 Magi "V.I.P."
45, **1,484 **1,484 Kami nomi zo Shiru Sekai: Tenri-hen "Hikari no Kiseki" "Mirai e no Tobira"
47, **1,417 **1,417 Prince of Tennis "Heaven Knows"
49, **1,378 116,604 Nerawareta Gakuen "Hikaru Monotachi"

Source: Oricon Youtaiju

20 of 128 Comments Recent Comments

mistress_kisara said:
It did get delayed for a month when I checked the official website..

Ah makes sense, thanks. I usually start my Vol. 1 lists early in the season and tend to miss news of delays unless it's something I'm importing.

Jan 5, 2013 10:15 PM by jmal

jmal said:
mistress_kisara said:
Wasn't Zetsuen no Tempest suppose to release on 1/23 according to CDJapan?

Oh you're right, I wonder if it got delayed or if I just had the wrong date recorded.

It did get delayed for a month when I checked the official website..

Jan 5, 2013 10:14 PM by mistress_kisara

mistress_kisara said:
Wasn't Zetsuen no Tempest suppose to release on 1/23 according to CDJapan?

Oh you're right, I wonder if it got delayed or if I just had the wrong date recorded.

Jan 5, 2013 10:12 PM by jmal

jmal said:
RyanSaotome said:
Updated sales are out
Bolded the new additions

That list was missing Kami-sama Hajimemashita which sold 3,155 on DVD, probably another 1500 on BD if it ranks.

Formatted preliminary list with everything we have so far is here. Still waiting on the full list for the week. I'm guessing dtshyk will have his thread up soon too.

These didn't rank at all, though the first two should get BD numbers in the full list, probably:
Busou Shinki
Onii-chan Dakedo Ai Sae Areba Kankenai yo ne
Sukitte Ii na yo
Zetsuen no Tempest

Also for the record, no new anime coming out next week, at all.


Wasn't Zetsuen no Tempest suppose to release on 1/23 according to CDJapan?

Jan 5, 2013 10:05 PM by mistress_kisara

LB did better than stalker estimates which is good. Not surprised it didn't sell nearly as well as previous Key titles though.

Jan 5, 2013 9:17 PM by Yvese

RyanSaotome said:
Was that list only new releases, or did none of the anime that came out last week get a 2nd week?

The one I posted? It should have everything that's ranked so far. What we have right now is basically the typical Youtaiju Tuesday list.

We'll get the full BD list (that we usually get on Thursday or Friday) soon, I hope. But some second weeks are already there: One Piece sets, KuroBas, Horizon, TeniPri, Hakuouki, Gintama'.

But the BD threshold right now is 3.2k so no Chuu2, GirlPan, Darkness, or Psycho-Pass second weeks yet. Might not get one for GirlPan anyway due to the stock situation.

Jan 5, 2013 8:17 PM by jmal

Was that list only new releases, or did none of the anime that came out last week get a 2nd week?

Jan 5, 2013 8:11 PM by RyanSaotome

RyanSaotome said:
Updated sales are out
Bolded the new additions

That list was missing Kami-sama Hajimemashita which sold 3,155 on DVD, probably another 1500 on BD if it ranks.

Formatted preliminary list with everything we have so far is here. Still waiting on the full list for the week. I'm guessing dtshyk will have his thread up soon too.

These didn't rank at all, though the first two should get BD numbers in the full list, probably:
Busou Shinki
Onii-chan Dakedo Ai Sae Areba Kankenai yo ne
Sukitte Ii na yo

Also for the record, no new anime coming out next week, at all.

Jan 5, 2013 8:02 PM by jmal

Updated sales are out

14,458 01/07 Chuunibyou demo Koi ga Shitai!
13,550 01/06 Girls und Panzer
11,723 01/04 Gintama' Enchousen
10,214 01/06 To LOVE Ru Darkness
10,115 01/09 Little Busters
*8,916 01/06 Hidamari Sketch x Honeycomb
*5,864 03/07 K
*5,659 01/08 Psycho Pass
*2,494 01/07 Tonari no Kaibutsu-kun
*2,392 01/06 Jormungand Perfect Order
*1,759 01/08 Ixion Saga DT

Bolded the new additions

Jan 5, 2013 7:54 PM by RyanSaotome

Progeusz said:
hpulley said:
symbv said:
hpulley said:
. Perhaps I didn't watch it long enough, only 3 episodes but OniAi didn't have enough to keep me watching and it had plenty to make me feel embarassed watching it.
I think 3 episodes should be good enough to tell if you are really going to love the show, just like it or not going to like it. I believe a lot depends on if one finds the character Akiko adorable, funny and interesting. I think her character got almost everything right for me, and the fact that she is voiced by a seiyuu only 15 year old just adds to my amazement. (but she is still trumped by the seiyuu who voiced Arisa who is 14 years old!)


Oh wow, I didn't know they were so young. Quite the lines for them! Wonder if their mothers knew what they'd be saying???
I'd be more concerned about their older brothers if they exist. I heard Akiko's VA has one.
There's one thing sure - she has great voice. Still needs to work on screaming though.


Wonder what goes through their heads when they hear their imouto's saying "oniiiiiichannnnnn!!!"

Dec 31, 2012 12:04 PM by hpulley

hpulley said:
symbv said:
hpulley said:
. Perhaps I didn't watch it long enough, only 3 episodes but OniAi didn't have enough to keep me watching and it had plenty to make me feel embarassed watching it.
I think 3 episodes should be good enough to tell if you are really going to love the show, just like it or not going to like it. I believe a lot depends on if one finds the character Akiko adorable, funny and interesting. I think her character got almost everything right for me, and the fact that she is voiced by a seiyuu only 15 year old just adds to my amazement. (but she is still trumped by the seiyuu who voiced Arisa who is 14 years old!)


Oh wow, I didn't know they were so young. Quite the lines for them! Wonder if their mothers knew what they'd be saying???
I'd be more concerned about their older brothers if they exist. I heard Akiko's VA has one.
There's one thing sure - she has great voice. Still needs to work on screaming though.

Dec 31, 2012 11:54 AM by Progeusz

RyanSaotome said:
Actually, Arises seiyuu is 13, and possibly 12 when she was recording the lines (turned 13 in August).
Just checked that Morohoshi Sumire's birthday is in April as confirmed by her blog http://ameblo.jp/smiley-suu/archive4-201204.html (and she was born in 1999) so most likely she was already 13 when she voiced that 12-year old character Arisa. To be honest, I quite enjoy all the performances I have seen she did so far, be it OniAi, Nobuna or Aikatsu. A newcomer with a lot of potential for sure.

Dec 31, 2012 11:46 AM by symbv

My last BD of the year just arrived. Shinsekai Yori 2! Beautiful booklet with this one and event ticket though if the event requires a survey like the one for Tonari no Kaibutsu kun I may not bother. It has non-multiple choice answers.

Pictures soon...

Dec 31, 2012 11:40 AM by hpulley

Actually, Arises seiyuu is 13, and possibly 12 when she was recording the lines (turned 13 in August).

Dec 31, 2012 11:34 AM by RyanSaotome

symbv said:
hpulley said:
I actually quite enjoyed Nakaimo. Not enough to buy the BDs or even the novels though I am tempted by the novels and the OVA. I thought the "have to get married within a year to inherit the company but watch out, you can't marry your sister" was really funny and well done and I enjoyed the seiyuu performances and character interactions.
For me, character design is a significant factor when it comes to harem shows, so OniAi got a head start even before the anime started to air when I find myself more attracted to the character design of OniAi than NakaImo. And story-wise, to me NakaImo only got really enjoyable after the midpoint of the series (the DNA extraction scene being the best). Personally the guessing game of who is the real sister is a bit boring to me. And besides the two main female characters, the other 3 somehow lack appeal (nor coverage) to me.


I was attracted to the story of Nakaimo from the very start and I very much enjoyed the character designs of all his harem and his 'agent'. Again, different tastes, nothing wrong with that. Would have liked more covereage of many of the characters but alas, it was only a short series... I should really get the LNs as I suspect stuff was skipped.

symbv said:

hpulley said:
. Perhaps I didn't watch it long enough, only 3 episodes but OniAi didn't have enough to keep me watching and it had plenty to make me feel embarassed watching it.
I think 3 episodes should be good enough to tell if you are really going to love the show, just like it or not going to like it. I believe a lot depends on if one finds the character Akiko adorable, funny and interesting. I think her character got almost everything right for me, and the fact that she is voiced by a seiyuu only 15 year old just adds to my amazement. (but she is still trumped by the seiyuu who voiced Arisa who is 14 years old!)


Oh wow, I didn't know they were so young. Quite the lines for them! Wonder if their mothers knew what they'd be saying???

symbv said:

hpulley said:
.Just personal preference mind you! I also loved Dakara Boku Wa, H ga Dekinai and it seems I am in the minority with that Ecchi harem show.
Guess we may have some different tastes: I started with high expectation of BokuH but it ended up as my least favorite harem show of the season.... Of course it is all personal preference. And it is all very well -- it is good that different titles can attract different groups of buyers. And it all goes to show even for a much derided genre like harem it is not true that each show is the same as the others. For a fan of the genre they usually can tell the difference and know which one they like better.


I really enjoy the story of that one and the characters too. The light novels are super descriptive like many they read almost like a screenplay. Still it was great to see it animated.

There are certainly many different harem styles. There are fight styles like Dakara Boku Wa and Campione! which I like. I suppose Total Eclipse is even somewhat of that style though different again. But I also like the more standard ones like Nakaimo. To call harem one genre is quite limiting.

Dec 31, 2012 11:30 AM by hpulley

hpulley said:
I actually quite enjoyed Nakaimo. Not enough to buy the BDs or even the novels though I am tempted by the novels and the OVA. I thought the "have to get married within a year to inherit the company but watch out, you can't marry your sister" was really funny and well done and I enjoyed the seiyuu performances and character interactions.
For me, character design is a significant factor when it comes to harem shows, so OniAi got a head start even before the anime started to air when I find myself more attracted to the character design of OniAi than NakaImo. And story-wise, to me NakaImo only got really enjoyable after the midpoint of the series (the DNA extraction scene being the best). Personally the guessing game of who is the real sister is a bit boring to me. And besides the two main female characters, the other 3 somehow lack appeal (nor coverage) to me.

hpulley said:
. Perhaps I didn't watch it long enough, only 3 episodes but OniAi didn't have enough to keep me watching and it had plenty to make me feel embarassed watching it.
I think 3 episodes should be good enough to tell if you are really going to love the show, just like it or not going to like it. I believe a lot depends on if one finds the character Akiko adorable, funny and interesting. I think her character got almost everything right for me, and the fact that she is voiced by a seiyuu only 15 year old just adds to my amazement. (but she is still trumped by the seiyuu who voiced Arisa who is 14 years old!)

hpulley said:
.Just personal preference mind you! I also loved Dakara Boku Wa, H ga Dekinai and it seems I am in the minority with that Ecchi harem show.
Guess we may have some different tastes: I started with high expectation of BokuH but it ended up as my least favorite harem show of the season.... Of course it is all personal preference. And it is all very well -- it is good that different titles can attract different groups of buyers. And it all goes to show even for a much derided genre like harem it is not true that each show is the same as the others. For a fan of the genre they usually can tell the difference and know which one they like better.

Dec 31, 2012 10:34 AM by symbv

symbv said:
[...jojo sales expectations deleted...]

rederoin said:
hpulley said:
I should have said, ecchi or nipples alone don't sell. Popular series that have good stories can sell with ecchi or nipples perhaps adding a bit of appeal.
I can't disagree with that, its probably the reasons OniAi didn't sell that much. Its not like it does anything special compared to other ecchi shows/harems.
Personally I would like OniAi to sell better than NakaImo, for the simple reason that I love the character design of OniAi far better and I love the seiyuu performance in OniAi more. And regarding whether it does anything special compared to other harem shows, here stands the difference between an indifferent watcher (you) and a discerning fan of harem genre (myself): To me the characters of Akiko, Ana and Arisa, what they do and the situation they fall into, are far more appealing than a lot of other harem shows I have seen (in particular Akiko, whose animation I notice often got particular care), to the point I am seriously contemplating about buying the BDs. Anyway, to me the addition of nipples do not really add that much of appeal though. At the end for harem shows it is the appeal of the characters and character interactions that counts most.


I actually quite enjoyed Nakaimo. Not enough to buy the BDs or even the novels though I am tempted by the novels and the OVA. I thought the "have to get married within a year to inherit the company but watch out, you can't marry your sister" was really funny and well done and I enjoyed the seiyuu performances and character interactions.

OniAi on the other hand was too much for me, too much of an ick factor on the imouto/oniichan thing, the kukuku/fufufu was layed on too thick for my liking. Perhaps I should give it another try but Nakaimo on the other hand had me looking forward to every week. Perhaps I didn't watch it long enough, only 3 episodes but OniAi didn't have enough to keep me watching and it had plenty to make me feel embarassed watching it.

Just personal preference mind you! I also loved Dakara Boku Wa, H ga Dekinai and it seems I am in the minority with that Ecchi harem show. I bought and love the novels and manga for that one but not the BDs as I am not sure I want my kids running into the room while I'm watching it with Lisara running around topless for most of the show, nipples and all.

Dec 31, 2012 9:59 AM by hpulley

fertygo said:
Smh.. Either here or mania forum refuse to talk that JoJo are about to became big seller too ;_;
Actually I forgot to include JoJo when I said Little Busters and Magi may also make the 10k "big hit" line for their vol.1 sales. My bad. JoJo is generally well praised in Japanese forums and blogs and I have seen very little criticisms about the show. It got particular praise for its seiyuu performance as well as tasteful and skilful use of scene cuts and art expression, which is on display in abundance in its action scenes and OP/ED (which also shows really good pick of music), given the limited budget it seems to have . Since Part 2 is even more popular than Part 1, and so far the adaptation for Part 2 is also very favorably received, which helped the sales of Jojo BDs rise up in Amazon ranking the last few weeks. If I have to make a guess, I would say Jojo may have even better chance of breaking 10k for its vol.1 sales than Little Busters or Magi.

rederoin said:
hpulley said:
I should have said, ecchi or nipples alone don't sell. Popular series that have good stories can sell with ecchi or nipples perhaps adding a bit of appeal.
I can't disagree with that, its probably the reasons OniAi didn't sell that much. Its not like it does anything special compared to other ecchi shows/harems.
Personally I would like OniAi to sell better than NakaImo, for the simple reason that I love the character design of OniAi far better and I love the seiyuu performance in OniAi more. And regarding whether it does anything special compared to other harem shows, here stands the difference between an indifferent watcher (you) and a discerning fan of harem genre (myself): To me the characters of Akiko, Ana and Arisa, what they do and the situation they fall into, are far more appealing than a lot of other harem shows I have seen (in particular Akiko, whose animation I notice often got particular care), to the point I am seriously contemplating about buying the BDs. Anyway, to me the addition of nipples do not really add that much of appeal though. At the end for harem shows it is the appeal of the characters and character interactions that counts most.

Dec 31, 2012 9:46 AM by symbv

Winter 2013 Update

- Maoyuu Maou Yuusha, Cuticle Tantei Inaba, Hakkenden, GJ-Bu, OreShura, Mondaiji are up at Stalker. :p

Dec 30, 2012 2:54 AM by mistress_kisara

Nice to see Psycho-Pass bring in those BD numbers.

Dec 28, 2012 3:03 PM by Amarrez

Related Database Entries