Anime & Manga News

New Project of Madoka Magica To Be Revealed Soon

by dtshyk
Nov 25, 2011 1:52 AM | 103 Comments
According to the official twitter, a teaser website of Mahou Shoujo Madoka★Magica secret project was launched. The voices of Madoka are played randomly on the website. New voices will be updated daily. Madoka says "Everyone, a little miracle may come true." "Let's do Mahou Shoujo together once again."

Madoka Magica Secret Project

The content of the secret project regarding a new development of Madoka Magica will be announced soon.

Source: Madoka Magica official twitter

20 of 103 Comments Recent Comments

Just confirmed as an f2p online browser game

Dec 20, 2011 10:55 PM by Kyuubey


Not recently, though. Where is my third Mai-series, Sunrise? ;_; I think its time has come and gone.


Yeah... There was an entry here in MAL a while ago "Mao-Hime" but it seems it's gone now. They "continued" it with My-Otome, but in my eyes My-Otome is a complete different series that should be ignored if it wasn't for Mai and Midori.


::shrugs:: Any marketing campaign for Madoka would be high profile simply by virtue of being about Madoka. Pretty much anything short of another TV series is going to have people claiming it was "overhyped". Of course whatever it is will still sell really well and that's what matters for them.


You have a point... But I kinda hope we're wrong xD I guess we can only wait. At the very least we will get a sequel for sure with the third movie, so the rest is just adding the fun.

Dec 7, 2011 5:02 PM by Fukiri

Fukiri said:
and well, Mai-Hime.

Not recently, though. Where is my third Mai-series, Sunrise? ;_; I think its time has come and gone.

Though, I repeat I think this marketing campaign would be too much for a game... then again, I don't know any better.

::shrugs:: Any marketing campaign for Madoka would be high profile simply by virtue of being about Madoka. Pretty much anything short of another TV series is going to have people claiming it was "overhyped". Of course whatever it is will still sell really well and that's what matters for them.

Dec 2, 2011 8:57 PM by jmal

HomuraIsMyWaifu said:

Source that Urobuchi said that? I think I kind of remember something like that now you mention it, but I'm not sure. Also, in the post that I quoted the other person made it sound like a sequel was impossible as he claimed there was nothing else you could talk about (except for turning QB into a male or about Madoka's brother according to him) which, judging by Gen's satisfaction with his script for the sequel movie, is entirely untrue.


Fair enough, though there always are ways of continuing a story... The excuse they use, well, might be not so good. Then again... I don't know if you heard the first drama cd (I think, that's about Homura and Madoka), it was supposed to be set after the end of the series, and there Homura kinda vows to find a timeline in which Madoka stays with them (or something along those lines). Though, I don't think that is true anymore...

jmal said:

There are always three factors in play when spinoffs/retellings/sequels are considered. 1) Profitability 2) Fan interest 3) Staff interest. Madoka has all three in spades.


True, Sunrise does the same with Gundam... and well, Mai-Hime.
We are going to get a sequel already with the third movie, so well, this project can be anything, really. I would bet on a game or spinoff as they already have a sequel and a retelling planned. Though, I repeat I think this marketing campaign would be too much for a game... then again, I don't know any better.

Dec 2, 2011 3:02 PM by Fukiri

I hope something like a mahou shoujou tournament where all the mahou shoujou's in the world compete against each others in a battle to claim a certain title.

Dec 2, 2011 10:24 AM by EmmyAltava

jmal said:
HomuraIsMyWaifu said:
Source that Urobuchi said that? I think I kind of remember something like that now you mention it, but I'm not sure.

http://wiki.puella-magi.net/NewType_2011-12 Interview there.

I think people are talking in circles somewhat. What Urobuchi is saying is basically that, yes, Madoka the 12 episode TV series was intended to be, and is, a complete story. That does not, in any way, mean the franchise was intended to be a one-shot. Shinbou and friends were thinking of other directions for the franchise back in January.

If someone says "Urobuchi thinks the anime is a complete story in its own right", they are correct.
If someone says "Urobuchi thinks the Madoka franchise is complete with just the TV series", they are demonstrably wrong. Considering the TV series a complete whole is not negated by doing an alternate take on the same basic plot.

There are always three factors in play when spinoffs/retellings/sequels are considered. 1) Profitability 2) Fan interest 3) Staff interest. Madoka has all three in spades.

Ah, thank you very much.

Dec 2, 2011 10:11 AM by AyaneruIsMyWaifu

HomuraIsMyWaifu said:
Source that Urobuchi said that? I think I kind of remember something like that now you mention it, but I'm not sure.

http://wiki.puella-magi.net/NewType_2011-12 Interview there.

I think people are talking in circles somewhat. What Urobuchi is saying is basically that, yes, Madoka the 12 episode TV series was intended to be, and is, a complete story. That does not, in any way, mean the franchise was intended to be a one-shot. Shinbou and friends were thinking of other directions for the franchise back in January.

If someone says "Urobuchi thinks the anime is a complete story in its own right", they are correct.
If someone says "Urobuchi thinks the Madoka franchise is complete with just the TV series", they are demonstrably wrong. Considering the TV series a complete whole is not negated by doing an alternate take on the same basic plot.

There are always three factors in play when spinoffs/retellings/sequels are considered. 1) Profitability 2) Fan interest 3) Staff interest. Madoka has all three in spades.

Dec 1, 2011 6:52 PM by jmal

Fukiri said:
jmal said:
VanillaIceCream said:
This 'secret project' better not turn out to be the movie trilogy we all already know about.

Doubt it, although odds are decent that it's related in some way. Still think it could be a visual novel or something..


Agreed. I think that people are getting in high spirits but in the end it will be just a game of some sorts. (Though, I'd rather have TV series.) Then again, going through all this trouble of making a website and keeping everything a secret because of a game... it would be trolling the fans, imo.



HomuraIsMyWaifu said:

Also, who are you to say this kind of anime "wasn't really made to have any sequels"? You didn't make Madoka, how would YOU know it wasn't made to have a sequel? I wouldn't deny that the ending was quite conclusive and satisfying for most viewers, but by no means, is it impossible to continue.


Actually, Urobuchi himself said it was made to be a complete series with no continuation. However, because people loved the anime and the characters they decided to make a sequel. (At the time he was probably referring to the 3rd movie.) He even said there were talks about how they'd continue it counting on how the series ended and that the material they had at the time wasn't enough to fill another TV series.
So yeah, they are pretty much milking the cow though, I couldn't be more happy about it (as long as they keep the characters and their personalities) . Regardless of what they do , the original will stand as a complete series to my eyes and no second season will destroy the marvellous work it is. It will just be an addition.
If people kept thinking that series could be ruined by additions, then I doubt there would be many Higurashi no Naku Koro ni fans here, especially after the latest group of OVAs.


Source that Urobuchi said that? I think I kind of remember something like that now you mention it, but I'm not sure. Also, in the post that I quoted the other person made it sound like a sequel was impossible as he claimed there was nothing else you could talk about (except for turning QB into a male or about Madoka's brother according to him) which, judging by Gen's satisfaction with his script for the sequel movie, is entirely untrue.

Dec 1, 2011 5:30 PM by AyaneruIsMyWaifu

jmal said:

Urobuchi finished the screenplay for the third movie and said he was really satisfied with it.

That's good enough for me. I'll trust him.


We don't have much choice, do we? XD
Then again, if I have to trust the guy who brought us Madoka and Fate/ Zero I'll damn well trust him.

Dec 1, 2011 11:38 AM by Fukiri

Fukiri said:
So yeah, they are pretty much milking the cow though, I couldn't be more happy about it (as long as they keep the characters and their personalities) . Regardless of what they do , the original will stand as a complete series to my eyes and no second season will destroy the marvellous work it is. It will just be an addition.

Urobuchi finished the screenplay for the third movie and said he was really satisfied with it.

That's good enough for me. I'll trust him.

Dec 1, 2011 11:15 AM by jmal

jmal said:
VanillaIceCream said:
This 'secret project' better not turn out to be the movie trilogy we all already know about.

Doubt it, although odds are decent that it's related in some way. Still think it could be a visual novel or something..


Agreed. I think that people are getting in high spirits but in the end it will be just a game of some sorts. (Though, I'd rather have TV series.) Then again, going through all this trouble of making a website and keeping everything a secret because of a game... it would be trolling the fans, imo.



HomuraIsMyWaifu said:

Also, who are you to say this kind of anime "wasn't really made to have any sequels"? You didn't make Madoka, how would YOU know it wasn't made to have a sequel? I wouldn't deny that the ending was quite conclusive and satisfying for most viewers, but by no means, is it impossible to continue.


Actually, Urobuchi himself said it was made to be a complete series with no continuation. However, because people loved the anime and the characters they decided to make a sequel. (At the time he was probably referring to the 3rd movie.) He even said there were talks about how they'd continue it counting on how the series ended and that the material they had at the time wasn't enough to fill another TV series.
So yeah, they are pretty much milking the cow though, I couldn't be more happy about it (as long as they keep the characters and their personalities) . Regardless of what they do , the original will stand as a complete series to my eyes and no second season will destroy the marvellous work it is. It will just be an addition.
If people kept thinking that series could be ruined by additions, then I doubt there would be many Higurashi no Naku Koro ni fans here, especially after the latest group of OVAs.

Dec 1, 2011 11:12 AM by Fukiri

ehh not sure how i feel about this...will wait for more info before writing it off.

Nov 29, 2011 4:49 PM by cookieninja

GodlyKyon said:
Avolion said:
Either a story about Homura or a OVA.


wasn't it movies?

No. This is another project that's supposed to be secret and was announced after the movie. This is something else.

Nov 28, 2011 4:22 PM by AyaneruIsMyWaifu

Avolion said:
Either a story about Homura or a OVA.


wasn't it movies?

Nov 28, 2011 4:00 PM by GodlyKyon

Solkiskey said:
Looks like it's mainstream to hate on sequels.

lolbandwagon


There are good reasons as popular series' sequels tend to be...... well, not metting fans' expectations

Haruhi season 2
Code Geass Season 2
Death Note Second half(I sort of count it as a "Season 2")
Yu-Gi-Oh Gx(THE original series was quite popular from what I could tell)
Darker than black Season 2
......

I am sure there are more. This may be the cause to the hate. as some want to leave the anime "as it is"

Nov 28, 2011 4:00 PM by GodlyKyon

Looks like it's mainstream to hate on sequels.

lolbandwagon

Nov 28, 2011 11:01 AM by Soru

Either a story about Homura or a OVA.

Nov 28, 2011 11:00 AM by Avolion

WHY?! please don't.

Nov 28, 2011 9:58 AM by Victra

This 'secret project' better not turn out to be the movie trilogy we all already know about.

Nov 28, 2011 8:51 AM by VanillaIceCream

GodlyKyon said:
And kyubey as the MC? urgh...... no. I take back what I said. And Mahou Shoujo animes should at least have girls as leads
Or we make it an Mahou Otoko anime instead of a Mahou Shoujo. :P

Nov 27, 2011 5:25 AM by Ovindel

Related Database Entries