Anime & Manga News

Re-election of Governor Ishihara Disappoints Anime and Manga Creators

by dtshyk
Apr 10, 2011 6:03 PM | 116 Comments
According to NHK, Ishihara Shintaro was re-elected as the governor of Tokyo for his fourth term. Ishihara had taken the initiative in enacting the anime and manga regulation ordinance.

Number of votes
2,615,120 Ishihara Shintaro
1,690,669 Higashikokubaru Hideo
1,013,132 Watanabe Miki
*,623,913 Koike Akira

Chart: Percentages of votes


Anime director Fukuda Mitsuo ("Mobile Suit Gundam Seed") said the media is going to experience great ordeals. Mangaka & animator Ishida Atsuko said she was disappointed at the result of the election and at the light turnout at the polls (57%). Director Mizushima Tsutomu posted in his blog that "Ishihara-san was re-elected, huh? I see. Bring it on!" Mangaka Yuuki Masami said the result of the election was troublesome but he had been encouraged by the votes of the young people.

Sources: NHK, Fukuda's tweet, Ishida's tweet, Mizushima's blog, Yuuki's tweet

20 of 116 Comments Recent Comments

I really piss of when he said this:

“Otaku Have Corrupt DNA”
“Young People Have No Culture”

YOU ARE THE ONE WHO CORRUPTED ISHIHARA SHINTARO!!!
DON"T SAY YOU DON"T STEAL PEOPLE'S MONEY!!!

Sep 20, 2011 8:38 PM by HikariNijibane

Hoppy said:
Leon-Gun said:
Roloko said:


Its not a ban its a restriction kinda like what we have here in America where you have to be a certain age to buy porn, cigs, drivers license, etc.... Anyways I doubt anything will change that much.

Oh, as a bit of a footnote, Light Novels aren't affected by this bill. I guess they think kids don't like to read so it doesn't matter.


Most kids tend not to read them and even then most LN are seinen anyway and would never pique most children's interest anyway, they are meant for 18-45 year olds even series that may look and seem all cutesy and such tend to be seinen as well and have an older fanbase than most people think.
Yes, that's precisely why they aimed for the anime and manga. Kids prefer things with a visual aspect to it. I'm actually a little glad though as I tend to like Light Novels over manga.

Apr 14, 2011 7:12 PM by Leon-Gun

Leon-Gun said:
Roloko said:


Its not a ban its a restriction kinda like what we have here in America where you have to be a certain age to buy porn, cigs, drivers license, etc.... Anyways I doubt anything will change that much.

Oh, as a bit of a footnote, Light Novels aren't affected by this bill. I guess they think kids don't like to read so it doesn't matter.


Most kids tend not to read them and even then most LN are seinen anyway and would never pique most children's interest anyway, they are meant for 18-45 year olds even series that may look and seem all cutesy and such tend to be seinen as well and have an older fanbase than most people think.

Apr 14, 2011 1:07 PM by Hoppy

Roloko said:


Its not a ban its a restriction kinda like what we have here in America where you have to be a certain age to buy porn, cigs, drivers license, etc.... Anyways I doubt anything will change that much.

*sigh* Sankaku is like a tabloid they blow things way out of proportion with lies and half truths. Besides Yaoi is already restricted to adults only so it will not be affected by this bill since it is already 18+. =/
I'd agree with you as a whole, but there will always be a few publishers who will overreact and try to put pressure on the authors (not to mention, whomever is going to have the authority over the content will certainly try to put pressure). All in all we don't know the real extent of the damage until it happens, but the bill is vague enough to turn ugly should the worst-case scenario happen. I still trust that the industry as a whole won't really give a shit though.

Oh, as a bit of a footnote, Light Novels aren't affected by this bill. I guess they think kids don't like to read so it doesn't matter.

Apr 14, 2011 1:03 PM by Leon-Gun

as much as i'm apolitical, hearing this just now really made me feel depressed. why can't anyone just shoot this s.o.b.? they should hire a hit-man.

Apr 14, 2011 11:49 AM by kjra92

Shukumei said:
Leon-Gun said:
This might of course push the panic button on the execs which might, under fear of losing sales, prod and yell at the manga artists and anime creators to tone down their material in order to keep their current exposure and not be blacklisted into more adult-oriented stores.

So, in essence, the anime and manga industry is just fearing that this will stiffle creative freedom and shoehorn them even more into safe material. It's doubtful this will even hurt the ecchi genre anyway, since I'm sure those shows are already willing to embrace the mature audience. Their main draw is the boob shots and fanservice after all.


SankakuComplex (NSFW) put an article out in January (after the bill passed in Dec.) entitled "Tokyo Manga Massacre Begins." As expected, despite "voluntary restraints [beginning] in April of 2011, with the full force of the ban to come in July," it seems compliance has already started. It starts:

Tokyo manga fans are disgusted to witness their beloved manga already being dumped into the porno corner en masse in order to comply with Ishihara’s twisted manga ban.

Some explanation may be required – in Japan, convenience stores usually sell adult (porn) magazines in an out-of-the-way corner, with the shelves marked off with a “成人向け雑誌” separator and minors prohibited from browsing the shelves or buying anything therein.

Similar arrangements exist in other shops for DVDs, eroge and so on, often with curtained off areas of the shop or otherwise. However, many outlets will not stock anything which needs to be separated into an 18+ section at all.


However, it appears the titles now being shifted into the 18+ section "en masse" are far from risqué, with some even having no sex or violence at all. The article quotes citizens as commenting things like, “The pro-censorship crowd have forced all manga not intended for all ages to be sold as 18+. Even Jump is in danger at this rate…” and “So now ‘adult only’ is not for ero, but for anything not aimed at little children.”

On the other hand, perhaps even 18+ manga could be in danger of 'voluntary self-regulation' - one BL ("yaoi") mangakas stated that her publisher has told her (because of the bill) to stop using high school uniforms/settings in her works; some labels might even 'ban' (i.e. from the publisher to the mangaka) school uniforms. And another BL mangaka wrote that her publisher is now considering cancelling reprints of her works.

Link to that article (also on the NSFW Sankaku Complex site)


Its not a ban its a restriction kinda like what we have here in America where you have to be a certain age to buy porn, cigs, drivers license, etc.... Anyways I doubt anything will change that much.

*sigh* Sankaku is like a tabloid they blow things way out of proportion with lies and half truths. Besides Yaoi is already restricted to adults only so it will not be affected by this bill since it is already 18+. =/

Apr 13, 2011 6:53 PM by Roloko

......fuck

Stupid old people >.>

Apr 13, 2011 10:58 AM by Aozure

WHY.

Apr 12, 2011 7:44 PM by Soundtrack

Leon-Gun said:
This might of course push the panic button on the execs which might, under fear of losing sales, prod and yell at the manga artists and anime creators to tone down their material in order to keep their current exposure and not be blacklisted into more adult-oriented stores.

So, in essence, the anime and manga industry is just fearing that this will stiffle creative freedom and shoehorn them even more into safe material. It's doubtful this will even hurt the ecchi genre anyway, since I'm sure those shows are already willing to embrace the mature audience. Their main draw is the boob shots and fanservice after all.


SankakuComplex (NSFW) put an article out in January (after the bill passed in Dec.) entitled "Tokyo Manga Massacre Begins." As expected, despite "voluntary restraints [beginning] in April of 2011, with the full force of the ban to come in July," it seems compliance has already started. It starts:

Tokyo manga fans are disgusted to witness their beloved manga already being dumped into the porno corner en masse in order to comply with Ishihara’s twisted manga ban.

Some explanation may be required – in Japan, convenience stores usually sell adult (porn) magazines in an out-of-the-way corner, with the shelves marked off with a “成人向け雑誌” separator and minors prohibited from browsing the shelves or buying anything therein.

Similar arrangements exist in other shops for DVDs, eroge and so on, often with curtained off areas of the shop or otherwise. However, many outlets will not stock anything which needs to be separated into an 18+ section at all.


However, it appears the titles now being shifted into the 18+ section "en masse" are far from risqué, with some even having no sex or violence at all. The article quotes citizens as commenting things like, “The pro-censorship crowd have forced all manga not intended for all ages to be sold as 18+. Even Jump is in danger at this rate…” and “So now ‘adult only’ is not for ero, but for anything not aimed at little children.”

On the other hand, perhaps even 18+ manga could be in danger of 'voluntary self-regulation' - one BL ("yaoi") mangakas stated that her publisher has told her (because of the bill) to stop using high school uniforms/settings in her works; some labels might even 'ban' (i.e. from the publisher to the mangaka) school uniforms. And another BL mangaka wrote that her publisher is now considering cancelling reprints of her works.

Link to that article (also on the NSFW Sankaku Complex site)

Apr 12, 2011 7:06 PM by KilluaPwns

Still hoping for the bill being discarded as a breach to the constitution.

Apr 12, 2011 8:39 AM by Houjuu

The only reason novels aren't affected is because Ishihara himself enjoys reading/writing them (true story).

Apr 12, 2011 8:09 AM by Jollepoker

Damn.

Apr 12, 2011 5:55 AM by AlexSadist-sama

Maybe the reason he was re-elected was because the people from the higher age bracket think that what he did (the manga and animé regulation ordinance) was for the greater good of the younger generation...

Apr 12, 2011 5:53 AM by shellykanto

maybe mourning the victim of Japanese can revive them ^^

Apr 12, 2011 5:25 AM by MorningGlory

I don't get all hatred towards that old man. unless you're japanese, then you can hate him for whatever the reason is. and yeah i know about that bill and his comments.

dtshyk said:
Director Mizushima Tsutomu posted in his blog that "Ishihara-san was re-elected, huh? I see. Bring it on! "

Great post Mizushima-san. Bring it on!

Apr 12, 2011 4:26 AM by Han-yuu

I never thought this would become one of the consequences of Japan's low birth rates. :(

Apr 12, 2011 3:12 AM by LeFake

guyklc said:
Forget what he tried to do to the anime world, this bastard actually said the earthquake and tsunami were divine punishments from the heavens to wipe out Japanese people's egoism.
http://religion.blogs.cnn.com/2011/03/15/tokyo-governor-apologizes-for-calling-quake-divine-retribution/


Xenophobe, homophobe, sexist, ageist and now self-appointed God's spokesperson?

Apr 12, 2011 3:09 AM by TheBestAwful

This changes my impression of the japanese and the country,
the shitty government of course.
Sure, there is the good but the bad seems to be more, the senile and foolish senior IMO.
This guy basically just said that your grandsons should all go to hell to erase the sin and the seniors voting him is like replying that it doesn't matter just because my opinion is same as yours.
Of course, their opinion hasn't changed for over a freaking decade.
What the hell, seriously, what the hell.

Apr 12, 2011 3:03 AM by zeltrax225

Very disappointed with Japan in this one. This senile old fart spouted the most disgraceful thing a man can say about his country and the people still vote for him? Do people have no honor?

Apr 12, 2011 1:33 AM by Fukae

dtshyk said:
Director Mizushima Tsutomu posted in his blog that "Ishihara-san was re-elected, huh? I see. Bring it on! "


That's right. Bring it on!

Apr 12, 2011 12:54 AM by MaipleLeaf