Edit Manga Information

Volumes: 15
Chapters: 84
Status: Finished
Published: Jun 19, 2003 to Jul 17, 2010
Authors: Yamaguchi, Takayuki (Art), Nanjou, Norio (Story)
Serialization: Champion RED

Score: 8.201 (scored by 4232 users)
2 based on the top manga page. Please note that 'R18+' titles are excluded.

Jun 21, 2013
gwern (All reviews)
Mod Edit: This review may contain spoilers.

_Shigurui_ is about power. Seizing power, developing power, sabotaging power. We see power exercised in casual assassinations, marauding groups of murderers, offhand executions of random ronin, the social power of giving bad etiquette advice, the confinement of a demon warrior within a rigid hierarchy, the seductive power of beautiful women... It's not so much that _Shigurui_ is an extended demonstration of the amorality of power, but it demonstrates the corrupting effects of power, the *immorality* of power. Power once had will be abused, and we will see it done so for every reason: bloodlust, sexual lust, entertainment, pride, advertising, read more
Dec 11, 2008
Quizerno (All reviews)
PLEASE NOTE: I rate all tens because I really don't want to fiddle around with numbers.

Story:
Shigurui is a story with amazing presentation. The story is both linear and not-linear at the same time.

The story is of two men and their respective paths toward each other. It relies heavilly on narration with description.

What inspired me to write this review is that the manga has continually been able to keep me wanting to get to the next chapter. The story never reaches a moment of stagnation. Things keep happening.

Art:
The art is very very detailed. I don't usually prefer art like this. But Shigurui is a read more
Feb 16, 2014
stonnyfor (All reviews)
Shigurui is one of my favorite stories of all time but I almost chose not to read it due to the fact that I really did not like the anime and how it was done. In the end I gave the manga a chance and loved every moment of it.

the plot
The story is about two great swordsmen one is blind and crippled and the other has lost an arm. They are sworn Enemies and hate each other read more
Jan 2, 2013
opbuzz (All reviews)
This manga was a huge surprise for me. after reading dozens of manga I was looking for something more mature in nature , a manga that doesn't cover the blood, and really show just how brutal a sword fight could actually is.

Shigurui put's on a time machine to were honor tradition is all that's matter, nothing is spared from the reader as the characters fight, laugh and f***.

it's not long and very addicting, please stay with it longer that the first 2 chapters, after that you would find yourself submerged deep in the plot.

Sep 24, 2015
Ashtad (All reviews)
This manga is a masterpiece.

I will write my review for parts trying my best to explain my reasoning:

Story (9): Well is very rare to find a manga that you can really call a ''Truly masterpiece'' or a ''S grade'' manga. Shigurui is one of these mangas. The story tells you what do you need to know. At the moment that you need to know, is crude, beautiful, with touchs of fantasy but at the same time realistic epicness. In the start you found a story that tells you something and you probably will think ''thats curious'' atfer chapter and chapter, the mangaka shows you read more
Mar 2, 2019
hexashadow13 (All reviews)
tl;dr: A manga that tells a story of how an interesting conflict came to be, though does so in quite a brutal fashion and ultimately feels depressing to the point of absurdity.

The structure of this manga was quite interesting. It set up what seemed to be quite the interesting duel, one between a single armed samurai and a blind samurai, each with an incredibly strong disdain for each other, and then spent the vast majority of the manga explaining how the two came to that point. This worked well, because it framed everything that would happen such that the focus of the reader was on how that was read more