Forum Settings
Forums
New
Jul 5, 2023 5:04 PM

Mar 2009
Every time I find a series and enjoy it then I only to discover majority of people hate them.  Is my taste in anime so bad.

Like take Isekai allot of them are trash according to allot of people but allot of them I seen I enjoyed they make me laugh and feel warm insdie.  I know allot of them are just outright stupid and silly but yet I end up liking them allot.

But when I see how much people hate them I start to wonder is there something wrong with me ?  Or am I just so stupid I can´t see how bad they are like others?     I mean they make me happy but it is  also sad seeing how many hate them.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Jul 5, 2023 5:09 PM

Oct 2013
No, your taste is neither good nor bad. It's yours. I suggest just enjoying stuff that you find entertaining to watch. People are entitled to have their own opinions, so you might see positive and negative ones out there.

If most of opinions were negative, but you enjoyed your watching, then no need to be upset about it. It's your personal enjoyment that is the most important while watching animated series.

If you still can't stop thinking about other folks' opinions, I suggest doing this trick: think of yourself as somebody who managed to see a bright side of certain show, while most of people omitted it or didn't notice it at all.

Edit: fixing mistakes made by autocorrect that I didn't notice earlier.
AdnashJul 5, 2023 8:26 PM
Jul 5, 2023 5:14 PM

Jun 2020
There is nothing wrong for you enjoying them. If they make you happy then it's nice. I think you shouldn't listen to other people opinions too much, especially if it's bad one.
Jul 5, 2023 5:17 PM

Jan 2013
Having bad taste just means you have more shows to enjoy, there's no prize for refining your taste to some elitist level. 
If you reply back to me and I never respond, I lost interest and don't care. Sorry about that.
Jul 5, 2023 5:18 PM

May 2022
SwordBreaker36 said:
Every time I find a series and enjoy it then I only to discover majority of people hate them.  Is my taste in anime so bad.

Like take Isekai allot of them are trash according to allot of people but allot of them I seen I enjoyed they make me laugh and feel warm insdie.  I know allot of them are just outright stupid and silly but yet I end up liking them allot.

But when I see how much people hate them I start to wonder is there something wrong with me ?  Or am I just so stupid I can´t see how bad they are like others?     I mean they make me happy but it is  also sad seeing how many hate them.
You like what you like and its good to you that's all that should matter.  At the end of the day no one should watch something they dislike, just to fit in and be apart of the crowd.  All of this is subjective and each region likes certain anime. I am sure japan has a lot of anime that the west do not like and vice versa.
Jul 5, 2023 5:21 PM
危ないお兄さん

Nov 2016
Just watch this one pretty sure no one will be trashing ur taste anymore like it lmaooo
ISeeLifePeopleJul 5, 2023 5:32 PM

Jul 5, 2023 5:27 PM

Sep 2010
Fuck the haters just watch what you enjoy.
Jul 5, 2023 5:29 PM

Apr 2020
If you enjoy what you are watching you don't need to worry about something else in the end everyone has different taste and their own reasons for what they like
Jul 5, 2023 5:39 PM

Sep 2020
Your taste is your taste. What it matters the most is if you like it or not
Jul 5, 2023 5:41 PM

Jul 2023
I would have lied like the others and say your taste isn't bad, but your choices are so horrible, please make your list private
Jul 5, 2023 5:45 PM

Jun 2022
SwordBreaker36 said:

Hear me out. You like 2000s ecchii comedies, they are all hit or miss to say the least. Otherwise, you have decent enough taste. I tend to be a bit of a snob (to the point that somebody impersonated me on a certain anime forum, that I happen to lurk).

P.S: Watch the OVA version of Area 88, I found it better than the series.

Take care.
Jul 5, 2023 5:50 PM

Apr 2018
You don't need to give a fuck what others think. There's nothing wrong with having your own taste, you like what you like. I like some anime others don't, and I hate some anime others like, that's just because I have my own opinions, and you have yours. What sounds better to you? Being a mindless zombie who just follows the crowd, or being an actual person with real opinions and taste?

Ah, to be clear, when I said you don't need to give a fuck what others think, this doesn't mean you should harass people who disagree with you. Other people have their own tastes too, and as long as people are being honest with their opinions and aren't being a dick to you, you shouldn't be a dick to them. It's okay for people to hate what you like and vice versa, just don't be a dick.
Jul 5, 2023 6:28 PM

Mar 2009
Adnash said:
No, your taste is neither good nor bad. It's yours. I suggest just enjoying stuff that you find entertaining to watch. People are entitled to have their own opinions, so you might see positive and negative ones out there.

If most of opinions were negative, but you enjoyed your watching, then no need to be upset about it. It's your personal enjoyment that is the most important while watching animated series.

If you still can't stop thinking about other folks' opinions, I suggest doing this trick: think of yourself as somebody who managed to see a bright side of certain show, while most of people omitted it out didn't notice it at all.

Thanks allot that a great way to look at it. Thanks :)
Jul 5, 2023 6:31 PM

Jan 2020
SwordBreaker36 said:
Like take Isekai allot of them are trash according to allot of people but allot of them I seen I enjoyed they make me laugh and feel warm insdie.
Idk why, but this sentence just makes me happy.
Jul 5, 2023 6:33 PM

Mar 2009
Purple_Gh0st24 said:
You don't need to give a fuck what others think. There's nothing wrong with having your own taste, you like what you like. I like some anime others don't, and I hate some anime others like, that's just because I have my own opinions, and you have yours. What sounds better to you? Being a mindless zombie who just follows the crowd, or being an actual person with real opinions and taste?

Ah, to be clear, when I said you don't need to give a fuck what others think, this doesn't mean you should harass people who disagree with you. Other people have their own tastes too, and as long as people are being honest with their opinions and aren't being a dick to you, you shouldn't be a dick to them. It's okay for people to hate what you like and vice versa, just don't be a dick.

Thanks allot and yeah that makes sense and should will keep in mind not to do that I mean we all like different things right the best way is just agree we both like different think.  Still makes me a bit sad thinking so many people dislike it then maybe it will not get a seaons 2.  But I understand if it is not popular then that´s that.

Thanks allot for the nice words.  
Jul 5, 2023 6:45 PM
Jul 2018
Calm down, why do you care about other people's opinion that much?
I also have anime I loved a lot like Arte that are rated crazily low in comparison to other MAL ratings for new shows. I come to the conclusion that these people are the ones with the bad taste lol.

Edit: You got Spice and Wolf and Slayers there, your taste can't be that bad, imo.
Jul 5, 2023 6:47 PM

Mar 2009
Thanks you all for your kind words it just felt a bit of seeing I enjoy what allot of people seams to dislike and got me started to think that my  taste is so dull I could not notice what others seams to dislike.  Yes Allot of Isekai is silly and right on dumb but that what make me happy like im watching Season 2 of Isekai was smartphone and yes I will agree with allot of people it overly silly and stupid but honestly the anime makes me smile and I laugh allot at Toya poor boy never seam to get a break and that what makes me laugh poor boy everything just becomes way to overwhelming for him and yet he gets a good life.  

I never been god with sad moments and such so animes that are more just slow life or as some call it Iyashikei or healing anime.   When over im down or sad I just want to watch a happy anime how silly it may be.
Jul 5, 2023 6:55 PM

Jun 2022
SwordBreaker36 said:
Thanks you all for your kind words it just felt a bit of seeing I enjoy what allot of people seams to dislike and got me started to think that my  taste is so dull I could not notice what others seams to dislike.  Yes Allot of Isekai is silly and right on dumb but that what make me happy like im watching Season 2 of Isekai was smartphone and yes I will agree with allot of people it overly silly and stupid but honestly the anime makes me smile and I laugh allot at Toya poor boy never seam to get a break and that what makes me laugh poor boy everything just becomes way to overwhelming for him and yet he gets a good life.  

I never been god with sad moments and such so animes that are more just slow life or as some call it Iyashikei or healing anime.   When over im down or sad I just want to watch a happy anime how silly it may be.
You want Iyasikei, then watch Maiko-san Chi no Makanai-san. The Netflix adaptation is also (surprisingly) good.
Jul 5, 2023 7:15 PM

Oct 2014
Nobody should ever be insecure about the anime they like. Your taste is your own, so embrace it. Good or bad doesn't matter in the slightest because we all desire and value different things. Just because your feelings don't align with the majority doesn't mean it's a negative thing. My own feelings on new-gen anime in particular rarely side with the majority, and that's perfectly fine with me. As an older anime fan, I don't expect to have the same view or opinions as the new-gen crowd. Vice versa, as well.

Whenever I see someone who has the polar opposite taste to myself, "bad" never crosses my mind. The worst thought I get would be that it's boring. Whether I agree or disagree with someone's taste isn't important. What I find most interesting is if I can get a sense of personality from it. Anything distinct that says something about them. If you aren't true to yourself, then you're doing it wrong and that is incredibly boring.
Jul 5, 2023 7:41 PM

Jan 2017
SwordBreaker36 said:
U are not the only one here who feels this way. The fact that u know that they are not that good and u still enjoy them means they are ur guilty pleasure just like me. Except I dont feel guilty at all enjoying them (⁠ ͡⁠°⁠ ͜⁠ʖ⁠ ͡⁠°⁠)
Jul 5, 2023 7:43 PM

Mar 2020
I'm willing to bet it's because you are a person who doesn't prioritize writing and any messages/themes/etc. that come with it, and that's fine. You don't have to. If they make you happy then just like them. You can acknowledge that those who care more about writing don't like it and then move the fuck on and do what makes you happy. You only live once, spend it having fun.
In the end, all girls are like the rose bride
Jul 5, 2023 9:05 PM
Feb 2023
I don't think your taste is particularly bad. But again, anime taste is just matter of preferences. Like any other user said, it doesn't matter your taste is good or bad. As long as you enjoyed what you watched, its all fine
Jul 5, 2023 9:20 PM

Oct 2018
Try to watch Boku no Pico then. Enjoy it while you can.

“Once you've been loved once and have loved once, you cannot forget it.”
― Natsume Takashi
Jul 5, 2023 9:26 PM

Jan 2013
Natsuki_SanJuan said:
Try to watch Boku no Pico then. Enjoy it while you can.
What a disgusting recommendation. Choose Shoujo Ramune instead. 
If you reply back to me and I never respond, I lost interest and don't care. Sorry about that.
Jul 5, 2023 9:33 PM

Aug 2021
There's also the argument to be made that, if you're able to make the split, it's perfectly fine to approach and appreciate on both a critical and personal level - if there is a split there.

For example, there are certainly animes, shows, games, films, music and so on that I've experienced that I knew were really "good" i.e. they were more objectively well crafted for their medium or art form, but just didn't personally speak to me or I didn't enjoy or so on for whatever reason. Also, there's been ones that I knew were arguably...less good or even "bad" that I did personally enjoy or did speak to me, or as others have said have found various strong points or silver linings within them. Sometimes creators and artists just haven't finely tuned their craft, or they're particularly good at one thing, or they just relate on some level or strike a chord with some emotion. Or sometimes they just make something that's really really fucking dumb but still super hilariously enjoyable for some reason. 

As others have said, ultimately, you do you. But it *is* possible to have both objective and subjective looks that may or may not be in line with each other.
Jul 5, 2023 9:43 PM

Feb 2020
I'm also a big fan of so-called hidden gems and underrated shows. I usually don't like popular shows too much.

SerafosJul 5, 2023 10:27 PM
Jul 5, 2023 9:56 PM

Mar 2021
I don't get why people are so obsessed with taste, whether it's their own or someone else's. Just watch what you enjoy! And coming to the hate part, even popular anime receives criticism. Personally, I don't think any Isekai gets as much hate as Demon Slayer, which is currently the most popular anime franchise. Yet people still enjoy it regardless.

𝓜𝓪𝔂𝓫𝓮 𝔀𝓮 𝓽𝓻𝓲𝓮𝓭 𝓽𝓸 𝓵𝓮𝓪𝓿𝓮 𝓪𝓼 𝓶𝓾𝓬𝓱 𝓶𝓮𝓶𝓸𝓻𝓲𝓮𝓼 𝓸𝓯 𝓸𝓾𝓻𝓼𝓮𝓵𝓿𝓮𝓼 𝔀𝓲𝓽𝓱 𝓮𝓪𝓬𝓱 𝓸𝓽𝓱𝓮𝓻 𝓫𝓮𝓬𝓪𝓾𝓼𝓮 𝔀𝓮 𝓴𝓷𝓮𝔀 𝓸𝓷𝓮 𝓭𝓪𝔂 𝔀𝓮 𝔀𝓸𝓾𝓵𝓭𝓷'𝓽 𝓫𝓮 𝓽𝓸𝓰𝓮𝓽𝓱𝓮𝓻 𝓪𝓷𝔂 𝓶𝓸𝓻𝓮
Jul 5, 2023 10:30 PM

Oct 2013
SwordBreaker36 said:
You're welcome! And remember - your taste is yours. Others might see it positively or negatively, but it's just their opinion. You can also have an opinion on their taste and shows they like. But at the end of a day, your taste will remain yours. Good, bad, average? It shouldn't matter, because it's yours and you should like it for how it is like. I know it might sound kinda silly and basic, but that's how the things work in general when it comes to psychology. ;)

(apologies for typos in my previous post that I've already fixed; I wrote it on my mobile phone and I didn't notice autocorrect changing words that didn't need any change at all, lol)
AdnashJul 5, 2023 10:38 PM
Jul 5, 2023 11:17 PM

May 2018
"Why is my taste so bad ?"

Because you have personal preferences. Stop having such and anime will become sort of a chore, but people will view your taste...well not as good, but at least as decent.
It's your choice - fun or compliance to social cues.

Personally I have a horrible taste, but I don't really care what people think about it.
alshuJul 5, 2023 11:42 PM
Jul 5, 2023 11:27 PM

Jul 2021
at least that's better than mine. i enjoy majority of what majority of people enjoy. it's like i don't have any particular "taste" lol.

The end of an era. Thank you Wit, Mappa and Isayama.
Feeling half happy, half sad.

Kawaii waifus
and precious
  best girls <3333

Jul 6, 2023 12:10 AM

Feb 2018
Your taste is bad because its not MY TASTE!

That's pretty much how most people think. I wouldn't worry about it.
Jul 6, 2023 12:23 AM

Dec 2020
Imagine caring about what normies like. Most of the people who watch anime don't even have a 'taste'. The average person is much more inclined to groupthink than thinking about what they like. If you know what you like, you're already have more taste than the average person.

Jul 6, 2023 12:27 AM

Oct 2021
Your taste is bad because it's not my taste and my taste is the only one that's good.
Jul 6, 2023 12:34 AM
Aug 2021
Stop worrying about what other people thinks.Everyone has different opinion.Even I like some shows that others hate but that doesn't mean that my opinion about that show will change because of such shitty reasons.Who cares about others

Just say your taste is shit and move on
Jul 6, 2023 1:49 AM

Mar 2018
taste is subjective anyway so i wouldn't take it to heart if people bash on the things you enjoy.
also i think it's pretty common for a lot of people these days to hate on isekai but remember
it wouldn't become such a popular genre if it weren't for tooons of people genuinely enjoying it.

either way, your taste is personal and you shouldn't feel bad about it - it's nice to hear someone
enjoying anime so much that it makes them feel warm inside 

just a little eepy
Jul 6, 2023 1:52 AM
Jun 2021
I don't think most people care what you watch as long as you're not obnoxious about it. And isekai in and of itself isn't a bad theme, it's just that it got overproduced over the last decade or so, and people start to tire whenever a genre goes into hyperproduction.
Hot Blood saves lives.
Jul 6, 2023 2:01 AM

Oct 2019
listen, not everyone needs to be a critic.

it doesn't matter how good the shows you like are on a technical level. if you enjoy them, who cares!!!

a lot of shows aren't there to be something ground breaking. and they can work perfectly well for some dumb fun. 

now If you came and said smart phone isekai was a life changing experience, then I would have a lot of questions.
Also available at:
YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCK8spdL1M_J-z0vO2C7jPLw
Second Channel: https://www.youtube.com/@AshPolygonsDo/videos
Why You Should Watch Akudama Drive: https://youtu.be/Yw0r52wRjgA
A Love Letter To Anime「AMV」: https://youtu.be/YQyqxFM2m9Q

My referral code to a website/app that gives you free money (a few cents a day) by using a few megabytes of your internet for file sharing. We both get a bonus if you use my link: https://r.honeygain.me/ARSHIA7942
Jul 6, 2023 2:05 AM

May 2019
Typically isekai has a lot of harems, fanservice or replicated plots, which gives it a bad rep. I wouldnt say your taste is objectively bad though, nice spice and wolf fav.
remember the lesson, not the disappointment.
Jul 6, 2023 2:24 AM

Feb 2011
@SwordBreaker36
>Zest
>Nobunaga Oda
>Ginga Eiyuu Densetsu
What are you talking about? You have amazing taste.
Although Valkyria Chronicles is better as a game rather than anime.
Jul 6, 2023 2:35 AM
Jan 2022
The fact of understanding the existence of this problem is the first step towards solving it (I also confirm its existence). Therefore, you are on the right track.
You can look at the correct grades here: https://myanimelist.net/shared.php?u1=SwordBreaker36&u2=STEPAN-BANDERA&type=anime&o=2.
In general, I recommend reading negative reviews before rating, it can help to pay attention to problems that other viewers have noticed.
Jul 6, 2023 2:43 AM
Aug 2022
I see that as a W tbh. I wish I was able to enjoy trashy shows...
Jul 6, 2023 2:53 AM

Jul 2021
I'm in the same boat as you, and while I don't know your taste, I can safely say that my taste is not trash, it's everybody else that's wrong.
This dance is the pinnacle of human achievement.
Jul 6, 2023 4:18 AM

Mar 2009
Tiosar said:
@SwordBreaker36
>Zest
>Nobunaga Oda
>Ginga Eiyuu Densetsu
What are you talking about? You have amazing taste.
Although Valkyria Chronicles is better as a game rather than anime.

Im not gonna argue against that the game is great as hell. 
Jul 6, 2023 4:23 AM

Mar 2009
APolygons2 said:
listen, not everyone needs to be a critic.

it doesn't matter how good the shows you like are on a technical level. if you enjoy them, who cares!!!

a lot of shows aren't there to be something ground breaking. and they can work perfectly well for some dumb fun. 

now If you came and said smart phone isekai was a life changing experience, then I would have a lot of questions.

Well yeah I can agree with that for sure yeah it´s not life changing it just stupid and silly but makes me smile.  
Jul 6, 2023 4:26 AM

Mar 2009
SugarCubes said:
Typically isekai has a lot of harems, fanservice or replicated plots, which gives it a bad rep. I wouldnt say your taste is objectively bad though, nice spice and wolf fav.

Yeah for sure they are they are a bit much copy paste but allot of them I like do one thing I like allot and that´s majority of them never if rarly have any sad moments in them.  I mean take Clanad and spice and wold both made me cry and left me feeling sad for a few days sure they are great but im no fan of how the left me feeling. Because I often over feel or how one should say. 
Jul 6, 2023 4:29 AM

Mar 2009
lacie said:
taste is subjective anyway so i wouldn't take it to heart if people bash on the things you enjoy.
also i think it's pretty common for a lot of people these days to hate on isekai but remember
it wouldn't become such a popular genre if it weren't for tooons of people genuinely enjoying it.

either way, your taste is personal and you shouldn't feel bad about it - it's nice to hear someone
enjoying anime so much that it makes them feel warm inside 

Thanks allot.   yeah that  make sense they would not be so mny of them if they where not popular. Maybe to popular seeing as how many is made these days. 
Jul 6, 2023 4:32 AM

Mar 2009
Adnash said:
SwordBreaker36 said:
You're welcome! And remember - your taste is yours. Others might see it positively or negatively, but it's just their opinion. You can also have an opinion on their taste and shows they like. But at the end of a day, your taste will remain yours. Good, bad, average? It shouldn't matter, because it's yours and you should like it for how it is like. I know it might sound kinda silly and basic, but that's how the things work in general when it comes to psychology. ;)

(apologies for typos in my previous post that I've already fixed; I wrote it on my mobile phone and I didn't notice autocorrect changing words that didn't need any change at all, lol)
 Thanks that menas allot to hear. ANd I will keep it in mind that  even if my taste seam odd ít´s my taste and it makes me happy. :)
Jul 6, 2023 4:36 AM

Mar 2009
qwrxzy said:
There's also the argument to be made that, if you're able to make the split, it's perfectly fine to approach and appreciate on both a critical and personal level - if there is a split there.

For example, there are certainly animes, shows, games, films, music and so on that I've experienced that I knew were really "good" i.e. they were more objectively well crafted for their medium or art form, but just didn't personally speak to me or I didn't enjoy or so on for whatever reason. Also, there's been ones that I knew were arguably...less good or even "bad" that I did personally enjoy or did speak to me, or as others have said have found various strong points or silver linings within them. Sometimes creators and artists just haven't finely tuned their craft, or they're particularly good at one thing, or they just relate on some level or strike a chord with some emotion. Or sometimes they just make something that's really really fucking dumb but still super hilariously enjoyable for some reason. 

As others have said, ultimately, you do you. But it *is* possible to have both objective and subjective looks that may or may not be in line with each other.

Thanks.  WHen you put it like that yeah makes totaly sense on how some anime or music and such can speak to you more than others. May it be popular ones or lesser known ones. 
Thanks allot made me understand better on how my taste is. 
Jul 6, 2023 4:41 AM

Mar 2009
Pages_Pages said:
SwordBreaker36 said:

You want Iyasikei, then watch Maiko-san Chi no Makanai-san. The Netflix adaptation is also (surprisingly) good.
Thanks I put them on my to watch list. 
Jul 6, 2023 4:43 AM

Mar 2009
TheMechaManiac said:
I don't think most people care what you watch as long as you're not obnoxious about it. And isekai in and of itself isn't a bad theme, it's just that it got overproduced over the last decade or so, and people start to tire whenever a genre goes into hyperproduction.

Yeah I totally agree with that and yes I had a period I feelt man so dang much isekai but then I kind of changed heart becuse most Isekai gave my what I loved Fantasy, Humor and overboard silliness. 
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» Why does MAL still use Romaji for Anime Titles When not even the japanese do??? ( 1 2 )

Cestlavie_ - 7 hours ago

84 by Cestlavie_ »»
7 minutes ago

» Do you care more about Art or Entertainment?

zaganGao - 16 minutes ago

1 by Zarutaku »»
10 minutes ago

» Are you a fan of the Touhou Project series?

DesuMaiden - 3 hours ago

17 by MasterTasuke »»
13 minutes ago

Poll: » do you even watch anime like how you used to?

removed-user - Yesterday

31 by RudeRedis »»
14 minutes ago

» which anime did you watch first, the one you saw when you were just a child? ( 1 2 )

FruitPunchBaka - May 9

75 by Punkero »»
16 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.